Beamish

harmy

Striker
Was down beamish yesterday and next to the fair a cricket wicket was cut and cordoned off.

Does any team play there?

Looked f***ing lethal to bat on.

Was down beamish yesterday and next to the fair a cricket wicket was cut and cordoned off.

Does any team play there?

Looked f***ing lethal to bat on.
They have a cricket festival, where people play in shirts and ties using a very soft plastic ball. Littletown were in it before being banned for apparently being too good.

They have a cricket festival, where people play in shirts and ties using a very soft plastic ball. Littletown were in it before being banned for apparently being too good.
There was a thing a few years on a bank holiday when i was with family and there was a game on. It was Whickham v Percy Main for their respective 125 or 150 year anniversary. They were all dressed up in Victorian gear playing.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/whickham-percy-main-cricket-clubs-4455671

Yes they hold a cricket tournament each year. It would be lethal like you say if proper games were played. Usually three teams plus a staff team.
Beamish and East Stanley play in east Stanley itself.

Back in the day when I was at Belmont, we played there in the Durham Colliery Cricket Cup (I think it was called). It was the idea of Belmont legend and local historian Peter Welsh. We played the final at The Riverside and got some local press coverage. I think the tournament is still going. All played in leisurely fashion in Victorian cricket gear. It did get a bit serious in the final however, when the first ball I gently lobbed down got brayed for 6, the long run-up appeared!

Back