BBC Article: Inaki and Nico Williams: Two brothers, one club and a 40-year wait

I was just reading this really interesting article from the BBC about Athletico Bilbao, who are in the cup final this weekend, and the Williams brothers who play for them. Would recommend it to everyone, it's a great story and shows the changing philosophy when it comes to "Basque only" players.

But this bit of the article reminded me so much of ourselves:

As sporting director Gonzalez puts it: "The first song you learn is the Athletic song. The first jersey you have is the jersey of Athletic. Your first time in a football stadium is always in San Mames."

Even people without a general interest in football see the team as a vehicle for expressing their identity, a sense of belonging. "A religion," one taxi driver calls it. He is at a wedding on Saturday but will join the bride and groom in front of the TV for kick-off at 10pm local time.

"Sometimes you find people who don't really like football, but still they are Athletic fans," explains midfielder Ander Herrera.

"That's unique in the world. You see people who have been season ticket holders all their lives and they don't watch other games; they only watch Athletic.

"In Bilbao, you find a woman who is 60 or 70 years old, she stops you in the street and she says to you that we have to win the cup and we have to qualify for the Champions League."

Right now the city is decorated red and white. Flags hang from apartment windows, offices and council buildings. One metro station is decked out like San Mames, with a backdrop of fans looking over arrivals and departures
[...]

Near the stadium, in the heart of the city, banners flutter and even a mannequin in a wedding dress sports an Athletic scarf in a bridal shop window.

The club have been the bridesmaid too many times since their most recent Copa del Rey triumph in 1984.

Six final defeats, including two in as many weeks when the pandemic delayed a heartbreaking loss to rivals Real Sociedad, have followed.

There is a sense that, with Mallorca 15th in La Liga, this is Athletic's best opportunity yet to end a long wait for major silverware.

Always liked Athletic

Quite the story of their parents’ journey
Yeah, for anyone who hasn't read the article they walked across the Sahara barefoot (their father still has issues with his feet 20 years later), but they didn't tell the boys about their hardships until they were adults. Amazing story as you say!

Thanks for posting, enjoyed that. Hopefully they can win the game tomorrow.

I get some of the criticism with their basque policy but I like that they've remained true to themselves, authenticity is rare in modern football.

I was just reading this really interesting article from the BBC about Athletico Bilbao, who are in the cup final this weekend, and the Williams brothers who play for them. Would recommend it to everyone, it's a great story and shows the changing philosophy when it comes to "Basque only" players.

But this bit of the article reminded me so much of ourselves:

As sporting director Gonzalez puts it: "The first song you learn is the Athletic song. The first jersey you have is the jersey of Athletic. Your first time in a football stadium is always in San Mames."

Even people without a general interest in football see the team as a vehicle for expressing their identity, a sense of belonging. "A religion," one taxi driver calls it. He is at a wedding on Saturday but will join the bride and groom in front of the TV for kick-off at 10pm local time.

"Sometimes you find people who don't really like football, but still they are Athletic fans," explains midfielder Ander Herrera.

"That's unique in the world. You see people who have been season ticket holders all their lives and they don't watch other games; they only watch Athletic.

"In Bilbao, you find a woman who is 60 or 70 years old, she stops you in the street and she says to you that we have to win the cup and we have to qualify for the Champions League."

Right now the city is decorated red and white. Flags hang from apartment windows, offices and council buildings. One metro station is decked out like San Mames, with a backdrop of fans looking over arrivals and departures
[...]

Near the stadium, in the heart of the city, banners flutter and even a mannequin in a wedding dress sports an Athletic scarf in a bridal shop window.

The club have been the bridesmaid too many times since their most recent Copa del Rey triumph in 1984.

Six final defeats, including two in as many weeks when the pandemic delayed a heartbreaking loss to rivals Real Sociedad, have followed.

There is a sense that, with Mallorca 15th in La Liga, this is Athletic's best opportunity yet to end a long wait for major silverware.

And this is why our branch Bilbao Black Cats are banging the drum about the similarities between the clubs and the people of both cities.

If that article reminded you of ourselves, imagine what living over here for the past 18 years has been like.

We've pretty much proven the shirt link is true and the Athletic Bilbao club historian/museum director acknowledged it as most likely due to the research we did and findings we presented. However, unless a concrete piece of evidence can be found, they can't make it official.

Up until 2010 SAFC were the team affiliated with the shirts. From 2010 until our research was published last year, Southampton was considered the origin. Our research provides facts that debunk the Southampton theory which the museum director admitted the club no longer mentions Southampton as the influence of the shirts in their museum or social media activity. It can only be found on the club website which he acknowledged was badly out of date and in urgent need of an update.

The club contacted us to write an article about our branch etc for international fans day which we've done and appears in the programme for the game tomorrow.

Hope it's an enjoyable read 🔴⚪
Thanks for posting, enjoyed that. Hopefully they can win the game tomorrow.

I get some of the criticism with their basque policy but I like that they've remained true to themselves, authenticity is rare in modern football.

The reason they changed to the Basque philosophy was because I'm 1910s Spanish clubs complained about them getting a lot of top class amateur football players from England and winning the cup all the.

Athletic said, you don't like it? Fuck it! We'll change our policy and only play Basque players.

The philosophy has been relaxed a little over the years with players like Laporte who is french but had a Basque grandad.

Still, it's impressive the amount of things they've won and along with Real Madrid and Barcelona, they've never been relegated from La Liga

Last edited:
Great club. They have a massive banner at the final today.
The most unique club in the world.
And they are.
Great club. They have a massive banner at the final today.
The most unique club in the world.
And they are. Hope they win the final. Look out for the unique celebrations if they do.

Last edited:
Watching it on TVE (not on UK TV which is shameful). 1-1 at FT, just about to start ET.

Very open game, but Athleti on top now.

They reckon over 80,000 fans have made the trip to Seville from Bilbao. This was their fan zone at 3pm today:

Watching it on TVE (not on UK TV which is shameful). 1-1 at FT, just about to start ET.

They reckon over 80,000 fans have made the trip to Seville from Bilbao. This was their fan zone at 3pm today:

And the Bilbao Black Cats are there:

And the Bilbao Black Cats are there:

We had members of our branch (Bilbao Black Cats) at the stadium of light today and some in Seville for the Copa Del Rey final.

The lad in the picture above with our flag is the son of Borja Valle, he's the amazing sports historian we've been working with regarding the origin of Athletic Bilbao's red and white shirts which together, we have pretty much proven came from Sunderland.
I'm in Seville now* and it's packed with Athletic Bilbao fans. They're creating quite a good atmosphere. There's a scattering of Mallorca fans.

*look at me, pathetic etc

Is this you by any chance mate?

A few of our members are down in Seville and saw this Sunderland fan 😅🔴⚪

Last edited:
We had members of our branch (Bilbao Black Cats) at the stadium of light today and some in Seville for the Copa Del Rey final.

The lad in the picture above with our flag is the son of Borja Valle, he's the amazing sports historian we've been working with regarding the origin of Athletic Bilbao's red and white shirts which together, we have pretty much proven came from Sunderland.

Is this you by any chance mate?

A few of our members are down in Seville and saw this Sunderland fan 😅🔴⚪

No, I don't think I actually own a Sunderland shirt! I'd have probably worn one on Friday if I did.

Back