Battle of Britain RAF Spitfire pilot Geoffrey Wellum dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancho

Laundry Manager
Staff member
The youngest Spitfire pilot to fly in the Battle of Britain during World War Two has died, it has been announced.

Sqn Ldr Geoffrey Wellum, who was just 18 when he joined the RAF in August 1939, died at his home in Cornwall on Wednesday evening aged 96.

He served with 92 Squadron and his first missions included the "dogfights" above London and the Home Counties for which the battle became known.

Full story from the BBC

He served with 92 Squadron and his first missions included the "dogfights" above London and the Home Counties for which the battle became known.

Nice one

Report this morning said he signed up at 17.

My old man worked in the canteen/mess at an airbase near York, he told me a few tales about their incredible bravery. Knowing he only had weeks to live he asked me to drive him down to the Minster to check through their names in the remembrance book. He was a tough old fella himself but I could see how moved he was as he scrolled through the list. Heroes, every last one of them.

I downloaded his book First Light yesterday and I'm really enjoying the read. I'd like to see the film now. I've always enjoyed stories about the RAF as they were really involved all the way through the war and, if shot down, either did the escape routes back or ended up doing escape attempts from prisoner of war camps, so have fascinating tales to tell. As it happened I lived down the street from a Battle of Britain pilot - Joe Kyall - and he was a great man. His life story would make a great film seeing he was involved in two escapades that led to films themselves - The Wooden Horse and The Great Escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back