Battered fish

Few can tell the difference,they've been mxing it up for ages
i can't tell
Its bairns food anyway really

i buy the frozen Bassa fillets and they're lovely
bit olive oil ,pepperoni or chorizo hoyed in ,garlic etc
bake in oven

so you dont like other fish ?
Please don’t eat basa/panga. I sell thousands of tonnes but wouldn’t feed it to me or my family.
Basa is a catfish that usually comes from Vietnam where rivers can be quite polluted. It’s cheap awful stuff and I’ve noticed they’ve started putting it in fish fingers etc as a way to keep prices down. I’d rather just pay extra for decent cod or haddock.
I didn’t know they were making fish fingers with it. It was only a matter of time.
sort of
but "haddock" will be like mcd "chicken"
unless you get the gourmet stuff
so whats wrong with a white fish mix ?
You feeling controversial this morning ?
A lot of the stuff labelled white fish is the same price as lidls haddock. There’ll probably be an investigation by some newspaper that will find that lidls haddock is really coley now like.
You won’t believe it but haddock is cheaper than coley at the moment.

Last edited:

You're probably eating pollock or coalie. They actually called pollack Colin to make it more appealing to buyers.

No but an example, I used to get the captain birdseye chunky fish fingers as they made a good snack if I ever fancied something simple like a fish finger sandwich. Sure they used to be cod or haddock, then a year or two back changed to pollock which were ok, had some recently and they were awful. Didn’t taste nice at all and nasty texture too. Looked on the box and the ingredients had changed to basa.

As it’s meat is white its also what a lot of unscrupulous fish and chip shops try to pass off as something else to make more money.

Having looked into where it comes from it’s not something I fancy eating. Prefer to swerve the bottom feeding turdfish - just a personal preference. 😂
The chunkiest were always pollock. Cut from fillet block ( imagine a paving slab made of fish fillets ) it’s all good fish but I just thing us brits don’t like Pacific fish as much as we like Atlantic fish. Birdseye do now use much more pollock than they do cod and haddock. They used to do a fantastic “ simply fish “ chunky fillet which was cod or hadddock. Dropped it now to pollock.
The global quota on pollock is well over 1 million tonnes. The global quota on cod is 400.000 ish.
Pollocks less than half the price. Interestingly to twats like me , cod and pollock are genetically identical. So much so that there is an argument to get pollock rebranded as cod.
Personally i dont mind bassa when i know what im eating but wouldnt eat anything just labelled " meat" so why "fish" .
I dont even mind cheap fish , bought a bag of frozen Pollock to make fish cakes while i was in there .
Just tell me what im buying
They can front line it as fish fillets but the species has to , and will be , declared in the ingredients. There will also be a “secret” code in the box saying where it was caught.
If only we could get away with cheating now !!
The fish God has been summoned
Just got the thread ! I’ve been prattling on now for 20 mins.

Last edited:
Please don’t eat basa/panga. I sell thousands of tonnes but wouldn’t feed it to me or my family.

I didn’t know they were making fish fingers with it. It was only a matter of time.

You feeling controversial this morning ?
no .not really
we are discussing mass produced battered white fish

You're probably eating pollock or coalie. They actually called pollack Colin to make it more appealing to buyers.
Colin is saithe / coley - confusing because Iceland calls coley, pollock ( pollachius) , saithe and coley !!
But Colin isn’t the pollock you will see on an ingredients label.

Years ago they were going to try and call pollock , Colin but realised saithe was already Colin so didn’t bother.

Strangely , most coated products in Northern Europe will be coley and pollock and not cod or haddock.

Last edited:
The chunkiest were always pollock. Cut from fillet block ( imagine a paving slab made of fish fillets ) it’s all good fish but I just thing us brits don’t like Pacific fish as much as we like Atlantic fish. Birdseye do now use much more pollock than they do cod and haddock. They used to do a fantastic “ simply fish “ chunky fillet which was cod or hadddock. Dropped it now to pollock.
The global quota on pollock is well over 1 million tonnes. The global quota on cod is 400.000 ish.
Pollocks less than half the price. Interestingly to twats like me , cod and pollock are genetically identical. So much so that there is an argument to get pollock rebranded as cod.

They can front line it as fish fillets but the species has to , and will be , declared in the ingredients. There will also be a “secret” code in the box saying where it was caught.
If only we could get away with cheating now !!

Just got the thread ! I’ve been prattling on now for 20 mins.
Correct me if I'm incorrect but I always feel like when I eat pollock it's a bit mushy compared to cod or haddock.

Going to scotts next week and that has dover sole written all over it.

On the subject of fish . I was in farm foods yesterday ( i know scrattastic mate , not really get some good bargains) and decided to have fish and chips for tea . Nearly all of the battered fish ( youngs etc ) was just labeled " fish" not cod or haddock etc . Had to search through for ages for an odd box stated as haddock.
When did people start accepting any old shite , Speakmanesque trading if you ask me .
Anthony Hopkins will play me in the film
Thought there was a fight in the chip shop last night

On wider note, have decided Farm Foods is a myth

Was in last week

£6 for a bag of chicken nuggets with some various flavour coating. Haway Farm Foods man

And aye can't be doing with the generic "fish" crap. Bork
Best off going to Heron if you have one nearby. Most of their unbranded stuff is marks and Spencer b grades - I’ve never seen anything wrong with them.

Correct me if I'm incorrect but I always feel like when I eat pollock it's a bit mushy compared to cod or haddock.

Going to scotts next week and that has dover sole written all over it.
The industrial pollock they catch in the Pacific is small. The fillets are 2-3 oz. They aren’t meaty at all and when they are formed into a block and compressed they do lose their texture. Top marks as they are mushy. I also think they are metallic tasting.
Cod and haddock both bottom feeders though and full of worms?
Beautiful though. Apart from herring and mackerel they are all bottom feeders. Hence - demersal and pelagic.
This is the sort of inside info the fish God brings.

What is b grade? I'm fully versed with j cut now. Need more info
B grade on coated fish - uneven batter, a bit of batter missing , fish fingers stuck together. The qc on marks and Spencer’s is so stringent it’s impossible to make money. There are more b grades than a grades. We buy them for a great price and heron sell them on at a great price.
Owned by B&M too? Think it's them, might not be

But I didn't know the M&S thing!!
A bloke from Hull started it and sold to B and M a few years ago.
Heron are cracking buyers and do pass the savings on to the customer. Mostly in poorer areas and many wouldn’t be seen dead in them but most products are high end.
Owned by B&M too? Think it's them, might not be

But I didn't know the M&S thing!!
I think B and M are about to increase freezer space and chilled space for food.

Last edited:
The industrial pollock they catch in the Pacific is small. The fillets are 2-3 oz. They aren’t meaty at all and when they are formed into a block and compressed they do lose their texture. Top marks as they are mushy. I also think they are metallic tasting.

Beautiful though. Apart from herring and mackerel they are all bottom feeders. Hence - demersal and pelagic.

B grade on coated fish - uneven batter, a bit of batter missing , fish fingers stuck together. The qc on marks and Spencer’s is so stringent it’s impossible to make money. There are more b grades than a grades. We buy them for a great price and heron sell them on at a great price.

A bloke from Hull started it and sold to B and M a few years ago.
Heron are cracking buyers and do pass the savings on to the customer. Mostly in poorer areas and many wouldn’t be seen dead in them but most products are high end.

I think B and M are about to increase freezer space and chilled space for food.
I knew you'd educate me. When I retire I'll come and work for you.

When I worked in Norway the locals preferred Coalfish to Cod.
They still do. It’s an interesting fish that lives a totally different life to its cod like cousins and it’s Icelandic brothers.
It’s born in natural harbours , man made harbours and sheltered coves.
It stays there for 5 years just wallowing with its mouth open . Swallowing everything and doing very little hunting so it is a fat blubbering mess. Hence it has a fat line between the skin and the flesh.
Then one day ,in its fifth year , it gets a kick up the arse and goes out to the open sea and starts living life like a proper hunter.ot gets slim , firm and clean. And becomes a good eat.
However , the flesh will always be darker and has more sinews than cod.
Icelandic coley is straight out to sea. It has no lazy adolescence. Its flesh is firmer and whiter than Norwegian ever is. It’s almost impossible to tell the difference from cod.

Colin is saithe / coley - confusing because Iceland calls coley, pollock ( pollachius) , saithe and coley !!
But Colin isn’t the pollock you will see on an ingredients label.

Years ago they were going to try and call pollock , Colin but realised saithe was already Colin so didn’t bother.

Strangely , most coated products in Northern Europe will be coley and pollock and not cod or haddock.
I'll take your word for it ozz. I'm as confused as fck marra
They still do. It’s an interesting fish that lives a totally different life to its cod like cousins and it’s Icelandic brothers.
It’s born in natural harbours , man made harbours and sheltered coves.
It stays there for 5 years just wallowing with its mouth open . Swallowing everything and doing very little hunting so it is a fat blubbering mess. Hence it has a fat line between the skin and the flesh.
Then one day ,in its fifth year , it gets a kick up the arse and goes out to the open sea and starts living life like a proper hunter.ot gets slim , firm and clean. And becomes a good eat.
However , the flesh will always be darker and has more sinews than cod.
Icelandic coley is straight out to sea. It has no lazy adolescence. Its flesh is firmer and whiter than Norwegian ever is. It’s almost impossible to tell the difference from cod.
It's nice saithe & billets aren't bad too. A lot of bones in them which I find a faff on.

Last edited:
Farm foods is great for obscure nick naks you can't find elsewhere, wouldn't get my weekly shop in there mind it's just processed junk. If you want decent quality affordable fish sea bass fillets are 2 quid something in aldi and they're lovely dredged in a bit of flour and garlic powder fried up or even just as they are

On the subject of fish . I was in farm foods yesterday ( i know scrattastic mate , not really get some good bargains) and decided to have fish and chips for tea . Nearly all of the battered fish ( youngs etc ) was just labeled " fish" not cod or haddock etc . Had to search through for ages for an odd box stated as haddock.
When did people start accepting any old shite , Speakmanesque trading if you ask me .
Anthony Hopkins will play me in the film

Speakmanesque?

As in, the fish was too young to eat when you bought it, but if you kept it for a couple of years and had a nibble every now and again it would come good eventually and you could probably sell it on to someone else later for a lot more than you paid for it?

Back