Battered fish

Dash riprock

Central Defender
On the subject of fish . I was in farm foods yesterday ( i know scrattastic mate , not really get some good bargains) and decided to have fish and chips for tea . Nearly all of the battered fish ( youngs etc ) was just labeled " fish" not cod or haddock etc . Had to search through for ages for an odd box stated as haddock.
When did people start accepting any old shite , Speakmanesque trading if you ask me .
Anthony Hopkins will play me in the film

Few can tell the difference,they've been mxing it up for ages
i can't tell
Its bairns food anyway really

i buy the frozen Bassa fillets and they're lovely
bit olive oil ,pepperoni or chorizo hoyed in ,garlic etc
bake in oven
Lidl always have battered cod and haddock in their freezers. I refuse to buy anything labelled fish.
so you dont like other fish ?

i can't tell

bake in oven

You know what I mean.

i can't tell

bake in oven

Basa is a catfish that usually comes from Vietnam where rivers can be quite polluted. It’s cheap awful stuff and I’ve noticed they’ve started putting it in fish fingers etc as a way to keep prices down. I’d rather just pay extra for decent cod or haddock.

sort of
but "haddock" will be like mcd "chicken"
unless you get the gourmet stuff
so whats wrong with a white fish mix ?
A lot of the stuff labelled white fish is the same price as lidls haddock. There’ll probably be an investigation by some newspaper that will find that lidls haddock is really coley now like.

Basa is a catfish that usually comes from Vietnam where rivers can be quite polluted. It’s cheap awful stuff and I’ve noticed they’ve started putting it in fish fingers etc as a way to keep prices down. I’d rather just pay extra for decent cod or haddock.
so you buy fresh unbattered from a counter or fish market then ?
A lot of the stuff labelled white fish is the same price as lidls haddock. There’ll probably be an investigation by some newspaper that will find that lidls haddock is really coley now like.
Its a long time since i watched Hugh chuntering on about the fish industry but i think it was something along the lines of saying "white fish " gives them scope to source what they can at a given time to make stuff
To a reasonable level of course
i have fish fingers in for emergency breakfasts and thats it .Battered fillets etc are all pretty tasteless
Not a big chippy goer either

Last edited:

Its a long time since i watched Hugh chuntering on about the fish industry but i think it was something along the lines of saying "white fish " gives them scope to source what they can at a given time to make stuff
To a reasonable level of course
i have fish fingers in for emergency breakfasts and thats it .Battered fillets etc are all pretty tasteless
Not a big chippy goer either
We normally have a box in the freezer just in case we want an easy tea, sometimes you can’t be arsed when you get in from work.

No but an example, I used to get the captain birdseye chunky fish fingers as they made a good snack if I ever fancied something simple like a fish finger sandwich. Sure they used to be cod or haddock, then a year or two back changed to pollock which were ok, had some recently and they were awful. Didn’t taste nice at all and nasty texture too. Looked on the box and the ingredients had changed to basa.

As it’s meat is white its also what a lot of unscrupulous fish and chip shops try to pass off as something else to make more money.

Having looked into where it comes from it’s not something I fancy eating. Prefer to swerve the bottom feeding turdfish - just a personal preference. 😂

No but an example, I used to get the captain birdseye chunky fish fingers as they made a good snack if I ever fancied something simple like a fish finger sandwich. Sure they used to be cod or haddock, then a year or two back changed to pollock which were ok, had some recently and they were awful. Didn’t taste nice at all and nasty texture too. Looked on the box and the ingredients had changed to basa.

As it’s meat is white its also what a lot of unscrupulous fish and chip shops try to pass off as something else to make more money.

Having looked into where it comes from it’s not something I fancy eating. Prefer to swerve the bottom feeding turdfish - just a personal preference. 😂
Personally i dont mind bassa when i know what im eating but wouldnt eat anything just labelled " meat" so why "fish" .
I dont even mind cheap fish , bought a bag of frozen Pollock to make fish cakes while i was in there .
Just tell me what im buying

Cod and haddock both bottom feeders though and full of worms?

On the subject of fish . I was in farm foods yesterday ( i know scrattastic mate , not really get some good bargains) and decided to have fish and chips for tea . Nearly all of the battered fish ( youngs etc ) was just labeled " fish" not cod or haddock etc . Had to search through for ages for an odd box stated as haddock.
When did people start accepting any old shite , Speakmanesque trading if you ask me .
Anthony Hopkins will play me in the film
On wider note, have decided Farm Foods is a myth

Was in last week

£6 for a bag of chicken nuggets with some various flavour coating. Haway Farm Foods man

And aye can't be doing with the generic "fish" crap. Bork

Lidl always have battered cod and haddock in their freezers. I refuse to buy anything labelled fish.
Yeah thats usually where i get it from . I just do a once a month visit to farm foods as they have some cheap quick stuff , prawns frozen wet fish . If you dont mind bassa the salt and pepper bassa from Lidl/Aldi is tasty
On wider note, have decided Farm Foods is a myth

Was in last week

£6 for a bag of chicken nuggets with some various flavour coating. Haway Farm Foods man

And aye can't be doing with the generic "fish" crap. Bork
Aye you have to pick your buys like .
Graeme or Shaun surely
Jackson

Last edited:

Back