Barney Ronay on Phil Foden

Great article on what Phil could mean for England - plus some delightful digs at the media - love his reference to Roy - tell like it is - Keane.

I have never seen Foden play, but that was a good article, I liked this bit, bugger all to do with Foden

Given a choice I’d probably want Graeme Souness to tell me the world is ending, if only because he could do it with the right level of sneering disdain, as though the world ending is some kind of vanity project for people with hairstyles.

Mainly, though, I want it to be Roy Keane. Firstly because Keane clearly wants this to happen, and would hugely enjoy it. But also because, for all his oddities, the way he appears on your TV screen like some moss-encrusted figure from a pre-modern tribal netherworld, Keane is also fiercely honest, and fiercely constant in his judgments.

Hi Wayne,

glad you liked the article - Barney Ronay is always a joy to read - if there was a Nobel prize for Football writing, he would be my nominee. However, I beg to differ that the aricle has bugger all to do with Phil. Barney makes a wonderful description of his playing style:

"Foden doesn’t rely on speed or moments of explosive physicality. He doesn’t hare around “imposing” himself. His real super-strength is the ability to take the ball at speed with a range of high-speed gliding swivels, rotating his body into unusual shapes. He can dribble and pass and carry possession in areas where often, when England play in some unforgiving tournament field, the ball has appeared to be square, or coated in radioactive toxins. "

While at the same time encouraging Southgate to use him as he should be:

"The next step is for Gareth Southgate to become convinced England have a player good enough to hold and control possession against high-class opponents, without sacrificing the strengths they already have".

Whatever, 3 years ago I couldn't give a shit about England as a football team ( Iceland!!!) - now with Southgate things are different -his ideas are more progressive and this, coupled with the explosion of young English talent, has rekindled my interest for the national team - we will have something to say as a footballing nation.
I have never seen Foden play, but that was a good article, I liked this bit, bugger all to do with Foden

Given a choice I’d probably want Graeme Souness to tell me the world is ending, if only because he could do it with the right level of sneering disdain, as though the world ending is some kind of vanity project for people with hairstyles.

Mainly, though, I want it to be Roy Keane. Firstly because Keane clearly wants this to happen, and would hugely enjoy it. But also because, for all his oddities, the way he appears on your TV screen like some moss-encrusted figure from a pre-modern tribal netherworld, Keane is also fiercely honest, and fiercely constant in his judgments.

Hi Wayne,

glad you liked the article - Barney Ronay is always a joy to read - if there was a Nobel prize for Football writing, he would be my nominee. However, I beg to differ that the aricle has bugger all to do with Phil. Barney makes a wonderful description of his playing style:

"Foden doesn’t rely on speed or moments of explosive physicality. He doesn’t hare around “imposing” himself. His real super-strength is the ability to take the ball at speed with a range of high-speed gliding swivels, rotating his body into unusual shapes. He can dribble and pass and carry possession in areas where often, when England play in some unforgiving tournament field, the ball has appeared to be square, or coated in radioactive toxins. "

"The next step is for Gareth Southgate to become convinced England have a player good enough to hold and control possession against high-class opponents, without sacrificing the strengths they already have".

Whatever, 3 years ago I couldn't give a shit about England as a football team ( Iceland!!!) - now with Southgate things are different -his ideas are more progressive and this, coupled with the explosion of young English talent, has rekindled my interest for the national team - we will have something to say as a footballing nation.

Hi Wayne,

Hi Wayne,

Maybe it was the fact I was distracted by Roy, I will only see the lad play if he plays against Sunderland, I dont watch any other club. Insular I suppose

Foden and to a degree Billy Gilmour at Chelsea prove you don't have to be a muscle bound athlete to compete in CM, I love how these slight lads see the game and also the holes in which they play, a great first touch and balance with their heads up and seeing the pass before they even receive the ball, a joy to watch.

Hi Wayne,

Hi Wayne,

He didn’t say the article had bugger all to do with Foden. He quoted two paragraphs which had bugger all to do with Foden.

Don’t let that detract you from your self-indulgent, pseudo intellectual witterings though.

And you wrote it twice. Good job 👍🏼

Fodens class, even Pep can see that above all the stars he's got at his disposal.

The fact he said losing David Silva wouldn’t be a big blow because they have Foden tells you how highly he’s rated.

Now he’s starting to get a proper run of games, he’ll be an unbelievable player.

Henderson and Foden, plus one other, is looking to be a cracking centre midfield next summer. Obviously our attack is something else as well. It’s the defense and keeper that is going to let us down.

Chilwell, Maguire, ? (Stones?), Trent

Henderson and Foden, plus one other, is looking to be a cracking centre midfield next summer. Obviously our attack is something else as well. It’s the defense and keeper that is going to let us down.

Chilwell, Maguire, ? (Stones?), Trent
Gomez looks good to be CB. Better than Maguire on his day.

Smalling has also had a good season at Roma and could be an option. Tomori could be in with a shout after another season under his belt.

TBH I would hope Maguire is nowhere near the starting XI if I’m honest

Back