Barclays closing Durham branch...

Banks are pushing people away from the High Street. Tried to open a savings account for my mam in Nat West, don't do them anymore. Telephone and app only. Given my mam hasn't a smart phone, and their call centre fucked up dealing with my dad's death, we just went elsewhere.

Then they'll say they're closing the branch as no one uses it. They don't want people using it.

Why our Durham branch is closing

Back when we opened this branch, visiting us in person was one of the only ways to do your banking. Now, as there are lots of ways to manage your money without even leaving your home, we're seeing many customers choosing to bank using our app, and Online or Telephone Banking. This has had a big impact on the number of customers coming in to see us.

Why our Durham branch is closing

Back when we opened this branch, visiting us in person was one of the only ways to do your banking. Now, as WE HAVE FORCED YOU to manage your money without even leaving your home, we're seeing many customers using our app, and Online or Telephone Banking. This has had a big impact on the number of customers coming in to see us.
TIDIED

Was in the cards back in 2016 when they took away all the counters and replaced them with machines. I’m sure that’s a Barclays building as well? As in, it’s engraved in the stone.

The branch in the Galleries closed last month. Nearest now is Team Valley, which is also marked for closure.
After that it’s either Sunderland or Newcastle city centre.
Didn’t realise the Team Valley one was as well, the Galleries one is my local branch so I’ve had all the comms from them about that one closing and guiding me to use the Team Valley one if I need a local branch, and I don’t recall them even telling me that!

Didn’t realise the Team Valley one was as well, the Galleries one is my local branch so I’ve had all the comms from them about that one closing and guiding me to use the Team Valley one if I need a local branch, and I don’t recall them even telling me that!
In January we had to go to the Team Valley branch to sort something out following my father's death the previous month and were told by one of the staff that in a couple of years it would probably be only Sunderland and Newcastle branches left.

Banks are pushing people away from the High Street. Tried to open a savings account for my mam in Nat West, don't do them anymore. Telephone and app only. Given my mam hasn't a smart phone, and their call centre fucked up dealing with my dad's death, we just went elsewhere.

Then they'll say they're closing the branch as no one uses it. They don't want people using it.
Basically impossible to use it for most folk these days. Opening hours since COVID have been terrible.

Back