Banning wood burning stoves and fires

I'm conflicted on this one. I'm living on 5 acres of once neglected olive groves. There's also cork oaks, Mediterranean oaks maybe 200 odd trees overallLl. If l don't manage it then the fire risk is massive. Prune to manage the risk and l can be semi sufficient in the winter. A win win. The sense l have is that the carbon capture is overall far more beneficial than the possible cataclysm that would occur if there's a fire on the land. Does that make sense. I don't use chemical controls and the place is generally left as natural space. Rare orchids a feast of natural colour. Any knowledgeable environmentalists that can advise?

I'm conflicted on this one. I'm living on 5 acres of once neglected olive groves. There's also cork oaks, Mediterranean oaks maybe 200 odd trees overallLl. If l don't manage it then the fire risk is massive. Prune to manage the risk and l can be semi sufficient in the winter. A win win. The sense l have is that the carbon capture is overall far more beneficial than the possible cataclysm that would occur if there's a fire on the land. Does that make sense. I don't use chemical controls and the place is generally left as natural space. Rare orchids a feast of natural colour. Any knowledgeable environmentalists that can advise?
Anything to actually grow adds far more benefit to the evironment that anything you do with it afterward assuming it is native and not invasive. You grow the wood, cut it, season it properly and when you burn it the emisions are no worse than buying electricity or gas.
nowt, the only reason people have wood burning stoves is to show off about their wood burning stoves
Or to heat their house in an efficient and secure way.
Of course do our bit but while China is burning record amounts of coal and we've got 10s of thousands of flights per day we're pissing in the wind.
We have to figure out what doing our bit actually means in the real world.

Last edited:
Anything to actually grow adds far more benefit to the evironment that anything you do with it afterward assuming it is native and not invasive. You grow the wood, cut it, season it properly and when you burn it the emisions are no worse than buying electricity or gas.

Or to heat their house in an efficient and secure way.

We have to figure out what doing our bit actually means in the real world.
Doing our bit is going to be working people getting taxed and shafted as an excuse while the changes that need to be made on a national and business level are ignored.

Doing our bit is going to be working people getting taxed and shafted as an excuse while the changes that need to be made on a national and business level are ignored.

£1b investment by BP in carbon capture and storage plant on Teesside.

And they’re taking carbon from industries in the locality for offshore storage.

Back