Bank of Dave

PTID

Midfield
Watched this on Netflix last night. Not Chrismassy but a decent feel good film, ideal for the this time of year. What a great story, and true as well.

I wonder what it is about Lancastrian people, they seem to throw up lots of these type of rugged entrepreneurs. Will it survive, I think it could, but its owner would have to be savvy as Dave Fishwick appears to be. If it prospers, could this spread to other towns and cities in the UK, such as Sunderland etc? Seems to me to be a sort of hybrid cross between a traditional bank and a Credit Union style community banking system. I would rather put my money into something like this, that was helping my own people and community than some soulless institution like Nat West or Halifax etc who are quite happy to take your money, but when you need there help, they slam the door shut in your face.

Watched this on Netflix last night. Not Chrismassy but a decent feel good film, ideal for the this time of year. What a great story, and true as well.

I wonder what it is about Lancastrian people, they seem to throw up lots of these type of rugged entrepreneurs. Will it survive, I think it could, but its owner would have to be savvy as Dave Fishwick appears to be. If it prospers, could this spread to other towns and cities in the UK, such as Sunderland etc? Seems to me to be a sort of hybrid cross between a traditional bank and a Credit Union style community banking system. I would rather put my money into something like this, that was helping my own people and community than some soulless institution like Nat West or Halifax etc who are quite happy to take your money, but when you need there help, they slam the door shut in your face.

The documentary series with the actual Dave is much better than the movie, it was on YouTube when I watched it

Good film , well worth a watch but a long way from the truth . Southerners miserable, northerners nice people . They got that bit right . The concert at the end never happened .

Saw the film, very enjoyable.
Will try to see the Documentary, which will probably give more background on why he set up the Bank ?
Assume he set it up to "help" people who he knew and struggled to get a loan with a fair interest rate ?
Burnley is an isolated smallish town, which lends itself to a community bank that a big City (e.g. Sunderland and Newcastle) would not.
Doesn't this idea happen in close-knit immigrant communities where perhaps the UK banks will not help them ?

Saw the film, very enjoyable.
Will try to see the Documentary, which will probably give more background on why he set up the Bank ?
Assume he set it up to "help" people who he knew and struggled to get a loan with a fair interest rate ?
Burnley is an isolated smallish town, which lends itself to a community bank that a big City (e.g. Sunderland and Newcastle) would not.
Doesn't this idea happen in close-knit immigrant communities where perhaps the UK banks will not help them ?
Aye basically he wanted to help people and didn't like the way the big banks robbed people.
It's actually really funny too he's a great bloke.
Lending money to people based on trust and them looking him in the eye and promising to pay it back 😂
There is a Dave Fishwick stand at Burnley.
Full episodes are on YouTube.

Back