Bairstow dropped

I know its only a 2 test tour, but wouldn't it be better to have a proper second keeper in the party to experience what tours are like?

Apologies if pope is a keeper, I'm not up to date on county cricket
He's behind foakes for the gloves hence the non keeping regularly part.

Bit like Foakes when he was at Essex behind Foster.

He appears to be a real talking horse. Everyone is raving about him but his scoring is only decent.
At least with Pope and Sibley they have runs behind them to back up their "young and potential tags"

averaging 31 at county level is pretty poor like, means he has some real technical flaws I'd say.
@Voice of fair play

surely we can put the Root to 3 at bed now, its not worked, he is back to 4 and will never return to 3

"Those two summers have brought one century and an average of 33. Root is better than that and England need more from him, so the move to No4 is sensible and should signal the end of his shuffling up and down the order. Get Root where he wants to be and let everything else work around him."

33 average 3 from the last 2 summers against India and Australia, it is not working like
by the way the balance of the side is now spot on, which I have been calling for, for years.

all rounder, wicket keeper batsman and 5 proper batsmen judged only on runs

we can judge them totally on that

I'd have gone with Buttler (I think) over Bairstow, but they averaged the same in the ashes, so not sure on what logic its been decided.

this is excellent on the situation

Last edited:
averaging 31 at county level is pretty poor like, means he has some real technical flaws I'd say.
@Voice of fair play

surely we can put the Root to 3 at bed now, its not worked, he is back to 4 and will never return to 3

"Those two summers have brought one century and an average of 33. Root is better than that and England need more from him, so the move to No4 is sensible and should signal the end of his shuffling up and down the order. Get Root where he wants to be and let everything else work around him."

33 average 3 from the last 2 summers against India and Australia, it is not working like
by the way the balance of the side is now spot on, which I have been calling for, for years.

all rounder, wicket keeper batsman and 5 proper batsmen judged only on runs

we can judge them totally on that

I'd have gone with Buttler (I think) over Bairstow, but they averaged the same in the ashes, so not sure on what logic its been decided.

this is excellent on the situation

You imo mate focus too much on the actual number a batsman comes in rather than whether he is in form and playing well.

I really find hard to understand with respect your theory and importance of a number, and why you think just one place in the order makes that much difference.

In the Ashes would Root have suddenly started scoring more runs against exactly the same bowling attack if he was four instead of three, I don't think soo and don't see any logic to see why he would.

Like I have said a thousand times, batsman score runs in the main when confidence high and in form, not their position in the order.

Smith never scored a million runs in the Ashes because he was 4, he scored because in form and good player and would have done exactly the same if 3, was in early every game anyway the way Warner played so effectively was 3.

If Denly fails again at 3 or the openers fail as in recent years we will once again be in the exact same position again where we need more experienced players as far up the order as possible to stop us been 30 for 3 in every game.

And Root is the most qualified, talented and patient player to do that in all the country at the moment.

So I will be calling for him to be opener or 3 while you will want to try nearly every batsman in the country before moving him, not matter how many times the top order fails!

So until 1 to 3 works ( which it hasn't for a considerable time) then yes I will still want Root up the order..

There is no doubt Root has scored more at 4, but it's not about Root, it's about the team!

Last edited:
You imo mate focus too much on the actual number a batsman comes in rather than whether he is in form and playing well.

I really find hard to understand with respect your theory and importance of a number, and why you think just one place in the order makes that much difference.

In the Ashes would Root have suddenly started scoring more runs against exactly the same bowling attack if he was four instead of three, I don't think soo and don't see any logic to see why he would.

Like I have said a thousand times, batsman score runs in the main when confidence high and in form, not their position in the order.

Smith never scored a million runs in the Ashes because he was 4, he scored because in form and good player and would have done exactly the same if 3, was in early every game anyway the way Warner played so effectively was 3.

If Denly fails again at 3 or the openers fail as in recent years we will once again be in the exact same position again where we need more experienced players as far up the order as possible to stop us been 30 for 3 in every game.

And Root is the most qualified, talented and patient player to do that in all the country at the moment.

So I will be calling for him to be opener or 3 while you will want to try nearly every batsman in the country before moving him, not matter how many times the top order fails!

So until 1 to 3 works ( which it hasn't for a considerable time) then yes I will still want Root up the order..

No offence mate but I’m not sure how you can’t grasp basic knowledge

So based on this post it’s just total coincidence that he averages close to 50 at 4

This is a really strange post. Let’s just pull names out of a hat then batting positions don’t matter

Root moving to 3 was a disaster

He moved to 4 last summer and immediately got a 100

He ain’t gonna bat there, he ain’t a number 3, and he never will be again

I was really assuming you’d admit you got this wrong like marra. The evidence was overwhelming

Can’t have your best player coming in 2nd ball man

Last edited:
No offence mate but I’m not sure how you can’t grasp basic knowledge

So based on this post it’s just total coincidence that he averages close to 50 at 4

This is a really strange post. Let’s just pull names out of a hat then batting positions don’t matter

I said one place in the order doesn't matter not positions don't matter, ( you better than that cheap shot)

I think when he has batted at 4 for long periods while he was doing that he was in tremendous form, and that is the primary reason he scored the runs he did, not the number he was in.

Most of that period he was in very early in the game anyway, so not sure why you think if he had 3 on his back rather than 4 , them runs and confidence would have suddenly dried up?
You can’t have your team 30 for 3 nearly every game all the time without doing something about it

Last edited:
I said one place in the order doesn't matter not positions don't matter, ( you better than that cheap shot)

I think when he has batted at 4 for long periods while he was doing that he was in tremendous form, and that is the primary reason he scored the runs he did, not the number he was in.

Most of that period he was in very early in the game anyway, so not sure why you think if he had 3 on his back rather than 4 , them runs and confidence would have suddenly dried up?
You can’t have your team 30 for 3 nearly every game all the time without doing something about it

He wasn't in tremendous form last summer like, then he moved to number 4 and batted much better

sorry but the evidemce is overhwleming, he isn't a number 3 and doesn't score runs there

You try and protect your best player from the no ball

He didn't do anything about, he averaged 30 in the Ashes, thats not good enough

No surprise that when Australia dropped there number 3 they didnt move their best player like.

What you are saying has proven not to be true like, you can't have your best player batting out of postion and not getting any runs like.

We were a better side 2 years ago than we are now. We've got worse thats the key point in all of this.
I shouldn't have brought it up to fair :lol:

I apologise, our other fews on most things cricket are fairly similar, lets leave this, as neither of us are going to change our mind!

Last edited:
He wasn't in tremendous form last summer like, then he moved to number 4 and batted much better

sorry but the evidemce is overhwleming, he isn't a number 3 and doesn't score runs there

You try and protect your best player from the no ball

He didn't do anything about, he averaged 30 in the Ashes, thats not good enough

No surprise that when Australia dropped there number 3 they didnt move their best player like.

What you are saying has proven not to be true like, you can't have your best player batting out of postion and not getting any runs like.

We were a better side 2 years ago than we are now. We've got worse thats the key point in all of this.
I shouldn't have brought it up to fair :lol:

I apologise, our other fews on most things cricket are fairly similar, lets leave this, as neither of us are going to change our mind!

Yeah most admit most of our views on cricket and England are are very similar,but surprisingly miles and miles apart on this, so yeah better leave it which is hard because we both argumentive and find it difficult to do that, but in this case definitely best :D

Yeah most admit most of our views on cricket and England are are very similar,but surprisingly miles and miles apart on this, so yeah better leave it which is hard because we both argumentive and find it difficult to do that, but in this case definitely best :D

Ha yep for sure, can’t all agree or the game would be no fun.

Just listening to the sky sports podcast on the train, key agrees with you about root but has bairstow at 4!

Not now, but if he recovers his form of 2016 he’d get back in as a batsman for sure.

Thinks sibley n co should have a few games watching before straight in side, can see logic

All about opinions

Back