Bairstow dropped

He’ll be back fancy a bet?

Right decision, as I’ve said Buttler at 7 is worth ago

Was only annoyed if foakes got in ahead

Time to give woakes a rest abroad. NZ perfect for Curran

Looking forward, working night shift then so will watch them all
Only surprise for me is Parkinson, thought he was more of a white ball Bowler? Bowls canny slow like, wouldn’t have been my pick
Agreed, I think Curran will get the nod initially. Parkinson is a funny one I agree, not seen enough of him in red ball cricket to comment but I imagine he will be carrying the drinks in the tests anyway tbh.
From what I’ve seen he’s very skiddy but not express pace. I think he’s got real potential though.
He’s a very good bowler imo. Not express pace but can definitely get it through at mid-high 80s.

Last edited:

Agreed, I think Curran will get the nod initially. Parkinson is a funny one I agree, not seen enough of him in red ball cricket to comment but I imagine he will be carrying the drinks in the tests anyway tbh.

He’s a very good bowler imo. Not express pace but can definitely get it through at mid-high 80s.

Cheers, not seen much of him, I think it’s not a bad shout picking 2 young players considering they won’t play probably

Just hoping smith isn’t going off short form stuff

No idea why Roy and Ali not in T20 squad, not in test squad so no reason to rest them for T20 squad surely.

Saying that Banton included is good, looks like he is going to be some player!

No idea why Roy and Ali not in T20 squad, not in test squad so no reason to rest them for T20 squad surely.

Saying that Banton included is good, looks like he is going to be some player!
I'd imagine its a rest mentally.

Ali just looks shot and could do with a winter with his family.

JRoy had the World Cup, the highs and lows of the injury, the frustration, then being a key cog in the win
He then had a very frustrating Ashes, had his technique mercilessly exposed, criticised left and right, and then dropped for the last Test. He must be absolutely shagged mentally; getting away from the scrutiny of international cricket could be vital if we want to preserve what he has in white ball cricket.

JRoy had the World Cup, the highs and lows of the injury, the frustration, then being a key cog in the win
He then had a very frustrating Ashes, had his technique mercilessly exposed, criticised left and right, and then dropped for the last Test. He must be absolutely shagged mentally; getting away from the scrutiny of international cricket could be vital if we want to preserve what he has in white ball cricket.

It’s sad really, I know I am like a broken record but he must have come out of the World Cup with his confidence at a all time high, coming back from injury he was a massive massive player in the World Cup.

Yet by putting him clearly in the wrong position in the test side that could have affected his confidence, and he was unfairly criticised imo.

And just to compound matters he went to watch Newcastle v Brighton

I know its only a 2 test tour, but wouldn't it be better to have a proper second keeper in the party to experience what tours are like?

Apologies if pope is a keeper, I'm not up to date on county cricket
Pope started out as a WK, but then worked harder and harder on his batting.

He's kept quite a few times for us in county cricket, and he's never let us down or made any errors.
Definitely wouldn't be concerned if he had to pick up the gloves in NZ

Pope started out as a WK, but then worked harder and harder on his batting.

He's kept quite a few times for us in county cricket, and he's never let us down or made any errors.
Definitely wouldn't be concerned if he had to pick up the gloves in NZ
Thanks for the heads up, doesn't say much for Foakes though

Last edited:
Bloody spell check
On Foakes, I'd imagine two things -
Firstly, they're not going to find out anything new about him in NZ. They know he's a world class WK, they know he's a solid batsman.
They'll learn more about Jos by giving him the gloves and batting him at 7, than they would by giving Foakes the gloves.

I'd also imagine they want Jos to have a go behind the stumps without the pressure of having Foakes breathing down his neck. Buttler can play without pressure, and we see if Jos as a WK at 7 is worth going to South Africa with.

Definitely wouldn't see it as a slight on Foakesy

Bit of a rest then play in a format his confidence is up in?

Just think like Roy n Ali he needed a long rest

Knowing JB like he is wil have been desperate to play!
On Foakes, I'd imagine two things -
Firstly, they're not going to find out anything new about him in NZ. They know he's a world class WK, they know he's a solid batsman.
They'll learn more about Jos by giving him the gloves and batting him at 7, than they would by giving Foakes the gloves.

I'd also imagine they want Jos to have a go behind the stumps without the pressure of having Foakes breathing down his neck. Buttler can play without pressure, and we see if Jos as a WK at 7 is worth going to South Africa with.

Definitely wouldn't see it as a slight on Foakesy

He’s our third choice keeper like, that’s the reality.

Bairstow will have a good chance of playing in SA considering how well he did there last tour, and he got given a million quid test contract last week
I know its only a 2 test tour, but wouldn't it be better to have a proper second keeper in the party to experience what tours are like?

Apologies if pope is a keeper, I'm not up to date on county cricket

I’m actually the surprised the squad is this back for a 2 match tour

Think they’re just getting a few plsyers in the environment to take a look
There are 12 players in CC who average of 40 in first class career (can't rememebr what the minimum is but it has to be decent), JB averages over 50, think people wrong to think he is discarded, he will be back as he is one of the best we have

Pope and Root 2 of others, looking forward to seeing pope get a run
*40 not 50, typo

Last edited:

Back