Bairn's away shirts - club shop

I took my Daughter into the club shop after the match yesterday as had been promising her the away shirt.
The 9-10 sizes all clearly had £20 on the tags so I thought a bargain and so included the shorts. When I got to the till and went to pay, the shirt was £40 and shorts £20 so, just a heads-up for any parents going in as there was no way I was not buying them and disappointing the bairn.
If it had clearly said £40, I'd have just got the shirt as £60 for an 8 year old of a fair whack in January as the bills are about to come out - especially as the kit is only current for another 4 months.

I've emailed to let them know but not sure if there's anything they will do.

Last edited:

I took my Daughter into the club shop after the match yesterday as had been promising her the away shirt.
The 9-10 sizes all clearly had £20 on the tags so I thought a bargain and so included the shorts. When I got to the till and went to pay, the shirt was £40 and shorts £20 so, just a heads-up for any parents going in as there was no way I was not buying them and disappointing the bairn.
If it had clearly said £40, I'd have just got the shirt as £60 for an 8 year old of a fair whack in January as the bills are about to come out - especially as the kit is only current for another 4 months.

Well done anyway for not disappointing the bairn

Surely they have to sell it for whatever price they've labelled it as, if the label is wrong that's their fault.
It's a bit of myth that you're entitled to goods at the price they're labelled at. You can ask them to honour it before you pay, but they're not legally entitled to say yes. However, if you've already paid and realise it's labelled at a lower price they have to refund the difference. The trick is to pay for it, then argue the toss.

It's a bit of myth that you're entitled to goods at the price they're labelled at. You can ask them to honour it before you pay, but they're not legally entitled to say yes. However, if you've already paid and realise it's labelled at a lower price they have to refund the difference. The trick is to pay for it, then argue the toss.
So much for the customer is always right 😉

Interesting, sounds like a case for Trading Standards.

Interesting, sounds like a case for Trading Standards.
Trading standards probably wouldn't do much, as the retailer will just a mistake has been made. They're actually entitled to remove all of the goods from sale and carry out an investigation and explain what has happened. Most would probably just give the refund to keep the customer from kicking off and get everything priced up properly.

They don’t.

They do. I've worked in multiple retail stores and if something is labelled incorrectly, you have to sell at the label price. Many times i've had to reduce something to the label price, then take the rest of the stock off sale and re-price the whole lot to the correct price.

They do. I've worked in multiple retail stores and if something is labelled incorrectly, you have to sell at the label price. Many times i've had to reduce something to the label price, then take the rest of the stock off sale and re-price the whole lot to the correct price.
That's what the retailer will do out of courtesy, marra. I teach business management and finance courses and consumer law is big part of a lot of the courses I've delivered. There's a lot of myths when it comes to the sale of goods act.

Dhgate

Trading standards probably wouldn't do much, as the retailer will just a mistake has been made. They're actually entitled to remove all of the goods from sale and carry out an investigation and explain what has happened. Most would probably just give the refund to keep the customer from kicking off and get everything priced up properly.
Strange that. The laws I'm familiar with are that if goods have been incorrectly labelled but the customer is in good faith that the label is correct, the customer gets the goods at the labelled price. So, in this case, the shop would have to sell them at the labelled price.

Strange that. The laws I'm familiar with are that if goods have been incorrectly labelled but the customer is in good faith that the label is correct, the customer gets the goods at the labelled price. So, in this case, the shop would have to sell them at the labelled price.
It all relates to whether or not the goods have been paid for. Once you pay for something, you effectively form a contract. Good faith and gesture of good will are open for negotiation before the sale happens. Like I said, and similar to what you're saying, most retailers will sell to you at the labelled price to save an argument. If you went to trading standards and told them they refused to sell something to you they'd probably say that was the retailers perogative.

Back