Baguettes. A way of life.

A few years ago we went to stay in a little village somewhere in Normandy for a couple of weeks. I was really looking forward to the bread got there to find the Boulangerie owners were on holiday so it was shut for the same two weeks we were there.

Anyway, as it’s the law in France that people must have access to fresh bread Council bread was delivered to one of the other shops each day. It was still decent but not quite the experience I’d been dreaming about.

Went to a RWC game in Paris 20 odd years ago. Felt peckish, went and bought a baguette near the station. Couldn't exactly see what was in it, apart from cheese and some orange looking dressing. Realised afterwards that I'd paid over a fiver for it.

Annoyed at myself. I thought "This had better be the best baguette ever." Turned out it was, it was like an angel crying on my tongue. Not the sort of thing you expect on a platform waiting for a train to Saint Denis.
Baguettes have been my bread of choice ever since.

Went to a RWC game in Paris 20 odd years ago. Felt peckish, went and bought a baguette near the station. Couldn't exactly see what was in it, apart from cheese and some orange looking dressing. Realised afterwards that I'd paid over a fiver for it.

Annoyed at myself. I thought "This had better be the best baguette ever." Turned out it was, it was like an angel crying on my tongue. Not the sort of thing you expect on a platform waiting for a train to Saint Denis.
Baguettes have been my bread of choice ever since.

:lol:

First visit to rural France in the early 90s with the missus. We were staying in an old watermill. Pops into town early doors for a mooch about. Spots the boulangerie and in we go for a bit pain. The missus insists on buying four (quatre) baguettes "for the next couple of days". Telt her the score vis a vis the French bread preservative rules, but she wasn't having it. Ended up having a sword fight with them the day after.

Back in 1989 in the summer we went to Paris, but without too much change to spare. Found a place that sold baguettes (may actually have been a "pain") with shawarma meat and chips and some sort of dressing and a bit of salad. At 20 francs one of them would feed an adult for 24 hours. Lovely

There is a dairy close to us that does butter with sea salt crystals in it. Spread it thick on your baguette and mop up the beans from a cassoulet. Then spend the night down wind of everyone else.

Back