Avoid 1231 into town

Already been a wooden fence and metal barrier wiped out on the other side of the road to the Ropery junction....as people have said cars just floor it going round that bend coming out of town.

Slightly off topic but if anyone's travelling from St Benedict's roundabout at Ryhope down the new road to Hendon then the next roundabout near the building site is a f***ing skating rink.

Yesterday I was steady away round there and still went sideways.
Cheers, that's where I come down off the A19 northbound, the big roundabout off the slip road usually is a problem too.

Cheers, that's where I come down off the A19 northbound, the big roundabout off the slip road usually is a problem too.
Aye, that can be slippery when wet but it's quite slow so should be manageable.

The next one you can be tempted to zip through a bit and you could end up in bother. Wasn't obviously muddy so I suspect oil.

The approach to the next roundabout on the coast road wasn't brilliant either.

Edit: I've just realised which one you mean, the turn off to Seaham?, and aye that's notorious as well.

Last edited:
Aye, that can be slippery when wet but it's quite slow so should be manageable.

The next one you can be tempted to zip through a bit and you could end up in bother. Wasn't obviously muddy so I suspect oil.

The approach to the next roundabout on the coast road wasn't brilliant either.

Edit: I've just realised which one you mean, the turn off to Seaham?, and aye that's notorious as well.
Yep the first big one, gone around that one sideways due to black ice

impressed that someones has lost it there, on basically a straight bit of dual carriage way...
Swooping left down then right at the bottom if you're doing any speed I'd say ,coming into town
Slightly off topic but if anyone's travelling from St Benedict's roundabout at Ryhope down the new road to Hendon then the next roundabout near the building site is a f***ing skating rink.

Yesterday I was steady away round there and still went sideways.
That mini one and the next one (Hendon or Seaham )has always been iffy
The one out of Ryhope ( Seaham or A 19) also

Last edited:
Aye young lass, it on NP site. Only just seen it now

Posted on their FB...

#APPEAL A female has sadly died following a serious collision in Sunderland and we're appealing for witnesses to come forward.

📍 A1231 between Queen Alexandra & Northern Spire bridges.
⏰1.20am
📆 Saturday, December 3

Attending officers found that, for reasons yet to be established, a black Vauxhall Astra had left the carriageway and crossed the central reservation before colliding with fencing on the opposite side of the road.

Emergency services attended the scene and sadly a female passenger in the vehicle was pronounced deceased at the scene.

Formal identification has yet to take place but we have informed the next of kin of the female believed to have been involved.

Another female inside the vehicle has been taken to hospital with serious injuries that are not believed to be life-threatening at this time. Two other occupants suffered minor injuries.

An investigation is ongoing into the circumstances surrounding the collision and we're asking anybody with information to get in touch.

This is a devastating outcome and our thoughts are with the female’s family at this time. We'll continue to offer them any support they need and we'd ask everyone give them the privacy they deserve. 💙

It's crucial that we find out what happened in the immediate moments before the incident. If you witnessed the collision, or were driving in the area in the early hours of this morning and saw a black Astra, we want to hear from you.

Please check any dashcam footage and let us know if you see anything that may be of assistance.

📲☎️ You can get in touch via the ‘Tell Us Something’ page of our website or by calling 101 quoting log NP-20221203-0062.

Back