Auto Electrics

houst69

Striker
Just bought a brand new android head unit for my Dacia Duster from Ebay.

Got everything working bar the already onboard factory rear cam.

I was assured it was plug and play but getting nowt? Any help appreciated

Does the new head unit support a rear camera,that's the first place I'd look and if it does is it plugged in? I know some of cheaper ones have all kinds of extra wires adapters

What make is it. I bought an Xtrons android head unit for my BMW X6 and the rear camera worked straight away.

Just bought a brand new android head unit for my Dacia Duster from Ebay.

Got everything working bar the already onboard factory rear cam.

I was assured it was plug and play but getting nowt? Any help appreciated
You may need to go into the settings for the new unit and tick/ select rear camera. I had to do this with a bmw CarPlay mmi box.

I’m assuming it came with a quad lock extension, does the new head unit have dip switches anywhere on it?

Last edited:
***Update***

The android unit won’t work with existing cams, had to buy this Camera Retention For Dacia Renault Vauxhall Nissan Reverse Cable Adaptor 24 pin | eBay

Anyway, waiting for it to come. Another issue.

I received a box called a ‘canbus’ box which connects to the car. It is supposed to allow you to configure the steering wheel controls for volume and switching tracks etc. I am pulling my hair out, can anybody offer any advice or perhaps come and have a look for me, only in Ferryhill 😎😎

***Update***

The android unit won’t work with existing cams, had to buy this Camera Retention For Dacia Renault Vauxhall Nissan Reverse Cable Adaptor 24 pin | eBay

I received a box called a ‘canbus’ box which connects to the car. It is supposed to allow you to configure the steering wheel controls for volume and switching tracks etc. I am pulling my hair out, can anybody offer any advice or perhaps come and have a look for me, only in Ferryhill 😎😎
Go to Tony's Audio in Trimdon St, they'll sort you out.

***Update***

The canbus is like a communications network the car uses to have various modules talk to each other. Your steering wheel controls, window switches etc work over the canbus.

Send me a link to whatever it is your bought.

***Update***

Is Dave Oliver still in Dean Bank? very good auto electrician on your doorstop , going back a few years mind.

Should be fine once the camera turns up. As you’ll have seen, picture 13 of 14 the black cable with a yellow end marked camera input goes into the port marked 5 on picture 12 of 14. Camera that you’ve ordered will have the same type of yellow phono jack that goes into the end of that cable. You may need to ground the camera too. You can do this using a grounding nut point in the boot or under the arm rest in the centre console.

I’m assuming the box can pick up a canbus signal to detect when you’re in reverse, otherwise you may need to wire it to a reversing light.

Update @The camera is working, finally. Thanks to this cable

Where does the ground and the reverse trigger input go?

I would check in the setting on the new head unit as you may at this stage just be able to flip a setting if the camera is producing a picture. You’ll need to have the engine on and put the car into reverse to test this

If there’a no setting and it’s still waiting for a trigger signal, there should be one as part of your existing wiring loom that went to your original head unit.

For the ground, same thing there’ll be a ground wire as part of your original loom or as part of the extension

When I fitted a reverse cam to my focus I took a live from the reverse light, I added an inline fuse also. The yellow rca lead then goes from the camera to your head unit. The trigger will be the red wire which is in with the lead with the yellow plug for the picture, which should hook up to your head unit to tell it the car is in reverse, putting the display into reverse cam mode.

Last edited:
If there isn’t or it’s not obvious then the alternative method is to tap into the power wire on your reversing light. There will be a ground wire as part of the existing original wiring harness though.

Do tap into the reversing light you’ll just need to extend the trigger wire long enough to run through your car and up to the reversing light.

Edit 2. You can try just doing the trigger and see what the imagine is like before doing the ground, grounding it is to stop any interference. If the picture is flickering then you’ll want to ground it.

Last edited:
Just noticed it’s a factory cam with an aftermarket head unit. Things won’t be as straight forward unless its designed to work across brands.
If there isn’t or it’s not obvious then the alternative method is to tap into the power wire on your reversing light. There will be a ground wire as part of the existing original wiring harness though.

Do tap into the reversing light you’ll just need to extend the trigger wire long enough to run through your car and up to the reversing light.
It’s a factory cam, the trigger will be in the car loom somewhere, or via CAN bus. May struggle to get the factory cam to talk to the aftermarket head unit.

Last edited:
Just noticed it’s a factory cam with an aftermarket head unit. Things won’t be as straight forward unless its designed to work across brands.

It’s a factory cam, the trigger will be in the car loom somewhere, or via CAN bus. May struggle to get the factory cam to talk to the aftermarket head unit.
Yeah, that’s why I was hoping there’d be a designated wire already, the little black box that comes with the connector will be an emulator. Hopefully it’s to also emulate OEM camera with aftermarket head unit rather than just aftermarket camera with OEM head unit.

Edit, just seen this.

If it’s working it won’t need to go anywhere as it’s not needed and it’s being detected anyway
Yeah, that’s why I was hoping there’d be a designated wire already, the little black box that comes with the connector will be an emulator. Hopefully it’s to also emulate OEM camera with aftermarket head unit rather than just aftermarket camera with OEM head unit.
Seems he has it working now, my fault not reading the full thread, as usual.

Last edited:

Back