AUGUST 2013 CHALLENGE - discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This month's challenge is a technique challenge - Shallow Depth of Field.

Go and get those lenses open!

For those entrants without a SLR or dSLR it is possible to use a point and shoot/compact and I will try and post a link.

This is my last month as caretaker of the competition, can you all enter this month please! so that I can hand it back to AB22 Easy Tiger in a healthy state!
:)

Edit:
For the none SLR dSLR users I found this from AB22 Easy Tiger 25.6.11 for a Shallow Depth of Field photo:
Focus with the subject in the middle, press the shutter half way and while you're doing that, recompose.

Dead easy.

And a link for anybody who wants it:
Depth of Field info

Last edited:

I might show that mean ajax_andy what a cheap Kodak digital camera can do :evil:

Only problem is, a photo I have that I think is an example of this shallow depth of field was taken on holiday in July...

Could this be a split compy this month then?

One section for those of us with shit f4 lenses and another for the flash bastards with f1.8-2.8 lenses!

No! :lol: But by posting what camera and lens you are using, people can take that into account when voting. I'll be almost certainly using a compact.

Last edited:
1.8 pffffft 1.4 here man!

it's not all about the aperture marra, your 135mm @ f/2.0 will give the most pleasing DOF IMO. Thats what I will use.

My macro is shallow dof over kill.

I might show that mean ajax_andy what a cheap Kodak digital camera can do :evil:

Only problem is, a photo I have that I think is an example of this shallow depth of field was taken on holiday in July...

Hey I allowed you to film yourself masturbating didn't I?! :lol:

1.8 pffffft 1.4 here man!

Aye exactly mate... must be some gear envy going on I reckon

it's not all about the aperture marra, your 135mm @ f/2.0 will give the most pleasing DOF IMO. Thats what I will use.

My macro is shallow dof over kill.
hew man, divvint tell ye granny how to suck eggs!

I'd like to enter but;

1. got nee idea what your talking about, and
2. I don't yet know how to use me recently obtained DSLR

I'll catch up in a few months though, once the decorating's done:lol:

I've just discovered this part of the forum and after trawling through the last 6 months entries just have to say what a talented bunch of folk you are.

Ok I've entered one seeing as there's not many in there... gone for a blurred foreground because I know it's really popular on here ;)

To Andy8989
Welcome to the competition!
Can you put your picture in again as it isn't showing.

To everybody
The competition ends Saturday night midnight, but I probably won't put the voting form up until Sunday lunchtime-ish. (likely not around till then).

(The new voting poll only holds ten names, so if you want to be on page 1 get your entry in quickly. I will enter names in order of entry, so entrant 11 onwards will be page 2.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back