'artlepool in the 70's

My Hartlepool memories: Did a few months there in 87 iirc when considering moving back up north permanently. On the estate being built behind the college. Was a wine bar type place with pics of the model type owner with George Best through there we’d have a few in before getting train back to Sunderland on Fridays. Used to have a quick change at dinner time and use the college canteen sneakily. Did a brewery trip to Cameron’s early 80s.

The locals seemed a bit odd tbh.
We used to get in Jackson’s anarl. If that’s the one behind and to the left of the college if your standing on the duel carriageway looking at the college.

Last edited:

Remember a few dodgy moments at the bus station waiting on the G&B back to Coxhoe, old pissed woman came and sat next to me once thought I was going to get a sexual assault, relief when she got off in Station Town.:)
bloody hell, the g&b, my mam used to get the g&b from home at wheatley hill to sherburn hospital where she worked.
iirc they were 2 tone, cream and brown?

My Hartlepool memories: Did a few months there in 87 iirc when considering moving back up north permanently. On the estate being built behind the college. Was a wine bar type place with pics of the model type owner with George Best through there we’d have a few in before getting train back to Sunderland on Fridays. Used to have a quick change at dinner time and use the college canteen sneakily. Did a brewery trip to Cameron’s early 80s.

The locals seemed a bit odd tbh.
We used to get in Jackson’s anarl. If that’s the one behind and to the left of the college if your standing on the duel carriageway looking at the college.

Rough area that like.

trying to think of the bar, Princess Hellina?

Behind college you had Charles Dickens store, where was it from there mate?
Rueful acceptance ! Yep ! that's Hartlepool all right.

Compared to now, Hartlepool was a jobs paradise in 1974

Agree in a way ie what other town would accept of travel services but I prefer the “get on with it” attitude of then to being swamped with snivelling little fannies nowadays.

Last edited:
Rough area that like.

Agree in a way ie what other town would accept of travel services but I prefer the “get on with it” attitude of then to being swamped with snivelling little fannies nowadays.
Used to get in the Princess Helena most dinner times back in the day. Was a bit of a “slaughtered lamb” moment the first time we walked in with our shirts and ties on though.

Rough area that like.

Absolutely no idea. Jacksons sounds familiar.
would the wine bar type place be called Helens? Near the station iirc.
Nivver been back there since 1987 though I’ve spent far too long sitting on the Grand Central train at Hartlepool on friday nights! Twats.

Rough area that like.

Aye was there for Gil Scott Heron, think it was a Sunday, my mate showed up with free tickets, went on the night was excellent.

Was on block release on an RTITB course for mechanics, was it called Lynn Street? memory not what it was, had some good times on lunch break in there.
Black Uhuru were on, as well as the Wailers. Brilliant! Was it 1986?

Standing on the dual carriageway you would only see one pub, The Clansman, shut now and has been for years , was only built in 1970 as part of the new shopping centre. The old shopping area prior to that was in the area around Lynn Street. Up until the late mid 60s there were dozens of pubs in that area , then the slum clearance began. Only 3 survive today, Jacksons Arms , Princess Helena and the Royal. A couple such as The Clansman and Alma, still stand but have been empty for years.

I used to frequent the Alma and the Devon. Had my 18th birthday party in the GEC club on Tower Street. Went to the Gemini after and they wouldn’t let me in cos they thought I wasn’t 18, the rotten sods.

neither is mine tbh :oops:
i've just looked on google maps and nothing seems or looks familiar. i know i also did my motorbike test at the test centre nearby as well. about 1984 ish.
Lynn Street has totally changed , to the point were it is now unrecognisable to what it would've looked like in 1984 , and it didn't look much then. Pubs still left in Lynn Street in 1984 , would have been the North Eastern and Market , two classic looking Victorian pubs, The Market is still standing today , but hasn't been open for years and the condition it is in, it never will , but has a preservation order on it. It briefly became a restaurant , then it became a cannabis farm , a load of Vietnamese were found to be living there growing the stuff

Last edited:
Standing on the dual carriageway you would only see one pub, The Clansman, shut now and has been for years , was only built in 1970 as part of the new shopping centre. The old shopping area prior to that was in the area around Lynn Street. Up until the late mid 60s there were dozens of pubs in that area , then the slum clearance began. Only 3 survive today, Jacksons Arms , Princess Helena and the Royal. A couple such as The Clansman and Alma, still stand but have been empty for years.

Clansman reopened as Jax around 2000. Like an indie bar with dj sets by Carl Barat etc performing. Shut about 5 year back. Was shocked to see it reopen last year but havent got back in.
Clarendons a class act, took mrs n her mate in n first thing a lad said to her mate was “Ive just got out of jail, can I mount yer?”
Lynn Street has totally changed , to the point were it is now unrecognisable to what it would've looked like in 1984 , and it didn't look much then. Pubs still left in Lynn Street in 1984 , would have been the North Eastern and Market , two classic looking Victorian pubs, The Market is still standing today , but hasn't been open for years and the condition it is in, it never will , but has a preservation order on it. It briefly became a restaurant , then it became a cannabis farm , a load of Vietnamese were found to be living there growing the stuff

Name escapes me but that indians was something like eat all you like for £7 n was unreal.

Last edited:
Clansman reopened as Jax around 2000. Like an indie bar with dj sets by Carl Barat etc performing. Shut about 5 year back. Was shocked to see it reopen last year but havent got back in.
Clarendons a class act, took mrs n her mate in n first thing a lad said to her mate was “Ive just got out of jail, can I mount yer?”

Name escapes me but that indians was something like eat all you like for £7 n was unreal.
Yeah I know marra , but it wasn't for long so I couldn't be arsed to mention it. Clarendon is a fookin dump , but it does have a certain stuck in time charm about it on a Friday / Saturday night. Took my son in there once for a game of pool , during the day , place was empty , but my son remarked on the smell , he was right , it stank of the previous evenings farts , really really bad , like when someone drops one in the car , but all around the pub.

Last edited:

Back