Are we jealous of the IPL? KP reckons so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marko

Striker
Kevin Pietersen has blamed England's lack of enthusiam for IPL on "jealousy," fuelling the debate over attitudes towards India's all-consuming Twenty20 tournament.

Interest in IPL remains limited in the UK, with media coverage virtually non-existent and more attention given to the start of the championship season.

Pietersen, who along with Eoin Morgan is the only current England international in this year's IPL, believes he knows why. "The IPL is very much struggling to find acceptance back home," he was quoted as saying on AFP. "It saddens me because I have had an amazing time at the IPL.

"it's down to a lot of jealousy I think, which is sad. It saddens me all the negative publicity the IPL gets in the [UK] media, I don't know why."

Pietersen, regarded as a reluctant performer in England's domestic tournaments, is bound to offend sections of England cricket with his remarks. England players are unable to take part in England's own Twenty20 tournament because it clashes with the international schedule - a mistake that India has been careful not to make - and for a senior England player to suggest that people are jealous of Indian success is not about to calm the mood.

Pietersen's comments follow a scathing assessment of the effect of IPL in Wisden Cricketers' Almanack. Wisden's editor, Lawrence Booth, complaied of: "The rise of a Twenty20-based nationalism, the growth of private marketeers and high-level conflicts of interest," adding: "It is a perfect storm and and the global game sits unsteadily in the eye."

While other England players have been released for early-season four-day championship matches, Pietersen's emphasis is on the Twenty20 game. "Playing another month in the subcontinent honing my skills, training with the spinners and practicing, I consider myself so very fortunate," he said.

England's fast bowler Stuart Broad piulled out of IPL this week because of injury, while two more members of England's attack, James Anderson and Graeme Swann, were unbsold.

Isn't every game on ITV4? and last year was on ESPN? Or do they mean Sky Sports don't cover it? and how dare we favour our own countries matches as oppose to some played in India? :evil:

when he says back home which country is he on about, south africa?

sounds more like KP is jealous people are watching our cricket not whatever sorry excuse for a commercial venture he is playing in.

wants to shut his mouth, why should anyone give a fuck about indian teams who swap half their players with each other at the end of every season, it is a joke and everyone involved knows it

Why isn't the IPL covered by Sky or treated with any great interest in the UK? Because it, and T20 cricket in general, is shite. Simples! :-D

I hope KP and Morgan will have their priorities in the right place if that tedium in India is still going on when the tests start.

Why would Sky bother with it when they already have the English domestic T20, CB40 and the occasional LVCC matches? Also, at the moment it isn't even a success on a channel that's terrestrial?

Sorry Kev, you're not selling it

Marko said:
Why would Sky bother with it when they already have the English domestic T20, CB40 and the occasional LVCC matches? Also, at the moment it isn't even a success on a channel that's terrestrial?

Sorry Kev, you're not selling it

ITV4 do really well out of it apparently. About time people without SKY had access to cricket too.

The reason why Sky dont show it is probably more due to not wanting to pander to the BCCI, than the quality of the product.

Whether people want to admit it, the best 20/20 players in world cricket by and large bar Pakistan all play in it

The final of the IPL 20/20 will be of far better standard than NZ vs WI as an example

The reason why Sky dont show it is probably more due to not wanting to pander to the BCCI, than the quality of the product.

Whether people want to admit it, the best 20/20 players in world cricket by and large bar Pakistan all play in it
The final of the IPL 20/20 will be of far better standard than NZ vs WI as an example

cant argue with the quality of the players, or at least the very very top end players agreed.

still that doesnt mean i have to care about it, its like telling someone who follows non league football to forget about it and follow the premiership

The CC pisses all over the IPL. Love my cricket but the novelty of the IPL has now worn off. i hope that they dont introduce the franchise stuff over here but as a Durham fan I'd be obligated to go.

Interestingly there was a decent crowd today for the Notts game. Good day out.

The Colonel said:
The CC pisses all over the IPL. Love my cricket but the novelty of the IPL has now worn off. i hope that they dont introduce the franchise stuff over here but as a Durham fan I'd be obligated to go.

Interestingly there was a decent crowd today for the Notts game. Good day out.

What's a decent crowd numerically? (I would know by sight).

I would guess we average about 3k for the T20s now or am I way off with that?

What's a decent crowd numerically? (I would know by sight).

I would guess we average about 3k for the T20s now or am I way off with that?
I once asked the blokes on the gate and they said that on average there was around 1.5k who watched the CC games each day.

I was surprised but as an example of how deceiving it is I walked into the Members lounge this morning when it was raining and it was chocker.

For the T20's there are upwards of 7k, if the weather is glorious and we're playing say Yorkshire on a Friday night.

Very deceptive.

Really good day today at the game. Enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back