April Challenge DISCUSSION - Chiaroscuro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to my work commitments April's challenge will start a couple of days early.

This month we return to techniques with what I think is a bit of a toughy, though you may prove me wrong.

The theme for the April challenge is: CHIAROSCURO

Definition of Chiaroscuro is here

Some Chiaroscuro shots here.

Pictures must be taken between now and April 30th.

Have fun

Oh, this might help:

Logon or register to see this image

ooohhhhh great challenge, the google image link is a bit iffy like, quite hit and miss.

i took this back in december, shame i didnt take it now, think it fits the theme pretty well?

i took this back in december, shame i didnt take it now, think it fits the theme pretty well?

Brill picture. Would have been spot on for April.

I took this just a couple of weeks ago and was thinking along similar lines as i thought it would fit the bill and was quite good for me!

Need to find something else to beat my 3 vote max lol

quick question, as this months comp was open on the 28th, does that mean we can enter pics that were took after that date? took one last night that might be suitable so i'm just wondering?

cheers.

quick question, as this months comp was open on the 28th, does that mean we can enter pics that were took after that date? took one last night that might be suitable so i'm just wondering?

cheers.

Yes, If you look at the 1st post, I said between then and April 30th, so you're fine to enter your shot if you wish.

Something that's been bugging me...

I know you say in the rules each month that voting shouldn't take into account the equipment used. I wholeheartedly agree, and would never myself take it into account. I do understand if your motive is to level the playing field, so people using more basic equipment don't feel compromised, and likewise those with high-end cameras don't feel they may be penalised for having the best kit.

However, I think we're all mature enough to see beyond all that, and appreciate the images before us on their own merit. For me, the benefit of the competition is twofold: to discipline ourselves to take a particular photo in a month, with a nice competitive edge, and to learn from each other. Based on that second point, I think we would all learn a bit more from the process if we knew a bit more about how each of us has achieved the shot we've done. This could be as little information as "I was walking past, held up my iPhone and snapped", or as much as describing how the shot was visualised, composed, exposure selected with technical details (camera, lens, s/s, aperture, emulsion/sensor ISO, post-processing etc). Surely this would be helpful, if posted in the spirit intended?

I don't think we should let ourselves to be distracted by technical details, and I realise it can easily happen: many photographers seem happier talking about ISO or lens quality instead of composition or lighting, but I for one would benefit from some information to learn from other people's work (to include visualisation etc as well as technical details). We are encouraged to comment on other people's photos, but I don't see any harm in commenting on our own too.

Last edited:
I can see where you're coming from, TGS. For me, the major purpose of this is to learn from other people and I know that there are people entering the competition with a wealth of knowledge. I guess the format of the competition isn't always conducive to the sharing of it. Ideally, the discussions surrounding the competition would bring this sort of stuff up but it doesn't always happen.

For me, the benefit of the competition is twofold: to discipline ourselves to take a particular photo in a month, with a nice competitive edge, and to learn from each other. Based on that second point, I think we would all learn a bit more from the process if we knew a bit more about how each of us has achieved the shot we've done. This could be as little information as "I was walking past, held up my iPhone and snapped", or as much as describing how the shot was visualised, composed, exposure selected with technical details (camera, lens, s/s, aperture, emulsion/sensor ISO, post-processing etc). Surely this would be helpful, if posted in the spirit intended?

I don't think we should let ourselves to be distracted by technical details, and I realise it can easily happen: many photographers seem happier talking about ISO or lens quality instead of composition or lighting, but I for one would benefit from some information to learn from other people's work (to include visualisation etc as well as technical details). We are encouraged to comment on other people's photos, but I don't see any harm in commenting on our own too.

Completely agree.

Thirded. 2011's themes are way more about techniques, and the competition has really benefitted from it. It'd be a great idea to encourage a bit of Q&A about it all. Perhaps it should be a part of the whole C&C feedback?

I know there have been a few cross words when x person has misconstrued how y person created their image - maybe that kind of comment should be phrased as a question?

blimey! this is gonna be really hard!

i am not sure how to even go about capturing a picture using this technique, i will have to have lots of practice with this one i think.

i am not sure how to even go about capturing a picture using this technique, i will have to have lots of practice with this one i think.

Glad I'm not the only one :neutral: Cracking shot last month though so I'm sure you will do it ;)

Something that's been bugging me...

I know you say in the rules each month that voting shouldn't take into account the equipment used. I wholeheartedly agree, and would never myself take it into account. I do understand if your motive is to level the playing field, so people using more basic equipment don't feel compromised, and likewise those with high-end cameras don't feel they may be penalised for having the best kit.

However, I think we're all mature enough to see beyond all that, and appreciate the images before us on their own merit. For me, the benefit of the competition is twofold: to discipline ourselves to take a particular photo in a month, with a nice competitive edge, and to learn from each other. Based on that second point, I think we would all learn a bit more from the process if we knew a bit more about how each of us has achieved the shot we've done. This could be as little information as "I was walking past, held up my iPhone and snapped", or as much as describing how the shot was visualised, composed, exposure selected with technical details (camera, lens, s/s, aperture, emulsion/sensor ISO, post-processing etc). Surely this would be helpful, if posted in the spirit intended?

Good idea, but my input might be limited at the moment, i am just getting to grips with the whole photography subject. It would be great to read what you guys are doing though 

Last edited:

I'm still not sure whether it is a fancy way of saying black and white picture, or whether it is a studio lights type of picture or what. But at the moment I'm at pains to even think how I'll go about entering. There again this is what the competition is about, so I'm perfectly happy.

I'm still not sure whether it is a fancy way of saying black and white picture, or whether it is a studio lights type of picture or what. But at the moment I'm at pains to even think how I'll go about entering. There again this is what the competition is about, so I'm perfectly happy.

Just think low key lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back