Apple ID compromised?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old man is all Appled up and In not.

He's had a message saying someone is trying to log into his Apple ID up north (he's down south!) and click allow or don't allow.

Is this a legit message and he needs to change his password etc or is it a bogus message aimed at getting more info?

Cheers

Sounds dodgy, best way is to look at the email address it has come from. Some of them do look very genuine but the one thing they cant fake is the senders email.

Also surely his apple ID is the same as his email address which wouldn't be a way Apple would verify anyway.

I had one a couple of month ago. If I remember correctly it was from Apple. I've never used Apple products for about 6 years. I just logged on through the proper Apple support and changed pass word, not through the link just in case.

I'm a bit cloudy on what actually happened but I'm sure someone tried to buy stuff, obviously the credit card was well out off date anyway after 6 years.

Worth changing it imo but as I say don't use the link and do it through proper Apple account.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201356

It's a myth that some of these companies DON'T email you.

They do. That said never click on the links in emails, always go through the legitimate websites (unless you've asked for a password reset in which case you will get an email link sent).

The moral is always be wary.

I'd just like to add my hotmail account had been compromised as well so maybe that how they got my details.

Does your dad use hotmail?

There's a website you can use to check if a hotmail account has been compromised

A developer has demonstrated how “shockingly easy” it is to steal people’s Apple ID passwords.

Felix Krause created a proof of concept phishing attack that looks identical to the official system popups in iOS.

He says it’s possible for criminals to programme apps to run certain code only after Apple has approved it for a spot in the App Store, and that the scheme works because iOS has “trained” users to automatically enter their details without questioning a popup's legitimacy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...s-security-passwords-steal-risk-a7995316.html

My old man is all Appled up and In not.

He's had a message saying someone is trying to log into his Apple ID up north (he's down south!) and click allow or don't allow.

Is this a legit message and he needs to change his password etc or is it a bogus message aimed at getting more info?

Cheers
I used to be Apple Tech Support. This happens because of his telephony provider being rubbish. I can almost guarantee he got the notification seconds after he used his AppleID to log into a device or service himself. What happens is the device's location is reported by his service provider as the last major exchange the login request went through. Countless times I've had people from e.g. Devon complaining they have been notified that someone in London has been trying to access their account.

Ask him to try to log in to his AppleID account again and I'm sure he'll get the same type of notification. 999 times out of 1000 its nothing to worry about.

I used to be Apple Tech Support. This happens because of his telephony provider being rubbish. I can almost guarantee he got the notification seconds after he used his AppleID to log into a device or service himself. What happens is the device's location is reported by his service provider as the last major exchange the login request went through. Countless times I've had people from e.g. Devon complaining they have been notified that someone in London has been trying to access their account.

Ask him to try to log in to his AppleID account again and I'm sure he'll get the same type of notification. 999 times out of 1000 its nothing to worry about.
Cheers for all replies.

I think it was a notification rather than an email or text so probably from Apple.

He's ignoring it and I'll head over tomorrow to sort it (hopefully!) for him.

I’ve got a few apple products and sometimes I get this 2 device activation thing where my iPad tells me someone from London is trying to login to my Apple ID. Usually it’s triggered by me logging in on my phone or Mac particularly after an update. The first time it happened the London thing spooked me but turns out that’s where it thinks I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back