Anyone remember ‘Johnny Go Home’?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Striker
The TV documentary not the shite Fine Young Cannibals song!

Following on from the Honeless and Ted Bundy threads. I remember seeing this as a very young kid in the seventies and asking me Mam to explain some of it. It was about young kids who go to London seeking the bright lights but end up getting into drugs and being exploited by pimps and pedos.

As the documentary was being made they uncovered Roger Gleaves - The Bishop Of Medway - who had a bunch of low rent flop houses that he’d rent out to younguns but in reality he was a disgusting nonce exploiting them for sex and beating them. One lad died. I think Gleaves got four years and continued to have several later convictions but none of them worthy of his crimes, the rotten bastard.

I learned a bit more about the show more recently snooping around on the internet but strangely it was never repeated nor ever made available on video / DVD and I think it was put up then taken down off YouTube.

Anyone else remember this shocking docco? Anyone have any thoughts?

Following on from the Honeless and Ted Bundy threads. I remember seeing this as a very young kid in the seventies and asking me Mam to explain some of it. It was about young kids who go to London seeking the bright lights but end up getting into drugs and being exploited by pimps and pedos.

As the documentary was being made they uncovered Roger Gleaves - The Bishop Of Medway - who had a bunch of low rent flop houses that he’d rent out to younguns but in reality he was a disgusting nonce exploiting them for sex and beating them. One lad died. I think Gleaves got four years and continued to have several later convictions but none of them worthy of his crimes, the rotten bastard.

I learned a bit more about the show more recently snooping around on the internet but strangely it was never repeated nor ever made available on video / DVD and I think it was put up then taken down off YouTube.

BFI Screenonline: Johnny Go Home (1975)

THE SOHO CONNECTIONS: Johnny Go Home – 1975

Last edited by a moderator:

I remember it Tex. At the point when they discovered Gleaves was the perp by reading a piece of paper that the young lad had swallowed prior to Gleaves beating him to death with Gleaves' name on it I had to rush to the bathroom to throw up. It was absolutely blood-curdling and I didn't think I could hate anyone more than I hated him after watching that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back