Anyone know of any protein bars that taste nice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tasted really unseasoned. Bland.
Could really do with posting some decent meals which would be good. I have been making wholemeal pasta salads with nuts, lentil sprouts and such like.

Must be some canny easy to make meals to eat at work.

I'm not I said I like flapjacks.

Has anyone tried Pea Protein?

There's a company online called muscle foods and they do some canny stuff......all real foods though. Protein bread/buns with 20g protein in a bun or two slices. Make a sarny with a tin of tuna and you've got around 60g of protein there. They do meat packs, protein soup, snacks, etc..

There's a company online called muscle foods and they do some canny stuff......all real foods though. Protein bread/buns with 20g protein in a bun or two slices. Make a sarny with a tin of tuna and you've got around 60g of protein there. They do meat packs, protein soup, snacks, etc..
Charmless mentioned some of the musclefood ready meals earlier in the thread; he wasn't impressed.

That said, I've used them and been pretty impressed. I've bought chicken (better price than any of the supermarkets and seem to be a bit better quality than the stuff at Makro, which is slightly cheaper), crocodile, rump steak, tuna fillets, beef mince and whey ice cream from them. All in all, I'm happy with the quality (particularly love the ice cream), and the price of the chicken, mince and steak seems reasonable.

Just looked at the ezekiel breads, and although they look interesting, they're bloody expensive at just under £5 a loaf. Plus most of them are out of stock. I assume they import from the US, hence the price and lack of availability.

It's certainly an interesting website though, and they're adding new products all the time.

Do not buy any protein bars pre-packaged!!!

Its pointless as you don't know really what is in it, the protein can be poor quality and are normally high in fat.

Make your own its so simple, all you need is Rolled Oates (Quaker) I use, natural peanut butter, whey protein powder (any flavour you want the flap jack to be, i use chocolate as it goes really well with the peanut butter) and water!!! Make as much or as little as you want and keep it in an air tight container in the fridge and will last 7-10days without the taste impairing!

This will save you hundreds of £££ in the long run as the ingredients above are cheap (except maybe a decent protein powder) but you only really use 3-4 scoops of protein which normally makes about 8 portions depending on your portion size.

If any one wants the instructions just let me know, takes 5 mins to prepare and they are delicious

Do not buy any protein bars pre-packaged!!!

Its pointless as you don't know really what is in it, the protein can be poor quality and are normally high in fat.

Make your own its so simple, all you need is Rolled Oates (Quaker) I use, natural peanut butter, whey protein powder (any flavour you want the flap jack to be, i use chocolate as it goes really well with the peanut butter) and water!!! Make as much or as little as you want and keep it in an air tight container in the fridge and will last 7-10days without the taste impairing!

This will save you hundreds of £££ in the long run as the ingredients above are cheap (except maybe a decent protein powder) but you only really use 3-4 scoops of protein which normally makes about 8 portions depending on your portion size.

If any one wants the instructions just let me know, takes 5 mins to prepare and they are delicious
I'm interested in your method. I've made some using the same ingredients you use and results have been mixed. They seem to come out differently every time! Sometimes they're gummy and hard, others they don't seem to set particularly well, and the odd time they've come out quite nice.

I'm interested in your method. I've made some using the same ingredients you use and results have been mixed. They seem to come out differently every time! Sometimes they're gummy and hard, others they don't seem to set particularly well, and the odd time they've come out quite nice.

this is how much I used and method, made about 8-10 good size peices, I use "cup" measurments as I got it off an american. Think a cup is about 250ml so just use a measuring jug if you don't have measuring cups. So just fill jug with oats to the 250ml mark

4 cups of oats (uncooked)
1 cup of peanut butter
4 scoops of whey protein (25g scoops)
water (as much as needed)

Put oats into a mixing bowl, add protein powder and mix then add peanut butter and mix thoroughly till its all mixed evenly. Natural peanut butter tends to be runny so its much easier to use.

Next add water, just keep adding little bits of cold water (tablespoon at a time) just keep adding water till you get a mixture that is stuck together and a bit moist but not soggy! Its really trial en error with the water so just add little bits and keep mixing.

I used a big square air tight container and tip all the mixture into this and use a spatular or fish slice whatever you call them and press down on the misture as hard as you can (this bit is really important so do it well) press down really hard and flaten it as good as you can and refrigerate for at least a few of hours to let them set.

You can add anything to this to make it better depending how healthy you want it, maybe chocolate layer on top? Latyer of peanut butter on top? Or just Almond butter instead of peanut butter? Add honey to the mixture when adding water if you like them sweeter (this will make them stick together better)

After a few hours just cut it up into how many portions you want and leave it in the fridge. I have left mine for longer than a week and it still tasted great.

Make a note of all the ingredients total protein, carbs and fats and then simply divide that number by how many pieces you have and hey presto you have your nutrional values!

if they havent set well its probably to much oats and not enough water or peanut butter as the water and peanut butter is the gel in this mixture. Press down on the mixture really hard and sit it in the fridge for a few hours and it should be fine

Charmless mentioned some of the musclefood ready meals earlier in the thread; he wasn't impressed.

That said, I've used them and been pretty impressed. I've bought chicken (better price than any of the supermarkets and seem to be a bit better quality than the stuff at Makro, which is slightly cheaper), crocodile, rump steak, tuna fillets, beef mince and whey ice cream from them. All in all, I'm happy with the quality (particularly love the ice cream), and the price of the chicken, mince and steak seems reasonable.

Just looked at the ezekiel breads, and although they look interesting, they're bloody expensive at just under £5 a loaf. Plus most of them are out of stock. I assume they import from the US, hence the price and lack of availability.

It's certainly an interesting website though, and they're adding new products all the time.

I've kept a regular order of the meals. They may be rank but they're ideal for a quick snack. Let's be honest, I'm not eating them for the taste.

I've been impressed with the meats. The duck breasts were really good quality.

They are canny nice like, depending on how big a bar you cut them up in mine are about 400 calories, 23g protein and 50g carbs.

this is how much I used and method, made about 8-10 good size peices, I use "cup" measurments as I got it off an american. Think a cup is about 250ml so just use a measuring jug if you don't have measuring cups. So just fill jug with oats to the 250ml mark

1 cup of peanut butter

Put oats into a mixing bowl, add protein powder and mix then add peanut butter and mix thoroughly till its all mixed evenly. Natural peanut butter tends to be runny so its much easier to use.

Next add water, just keep adding little bits of cold water (tablespoon at a time) just keep adding water till you get a mixture that is stuck together and a bit moist but not soggy! Its really trial en error with the water so just add little bits and keep mixing.

I used a big square air tight container and tip all the mixture into this and use a spatular or fish slice whatever you call them and press down on the misture as hard as you can (this bit is really important so do it well) press down really hard and flaten it as good as you can and refrigerate for at least a few of hours to let them set.

You can add anything to this to make it better depending how healthy you want it, maybe chocolate layer on top? Latyer of peanut butter on top? Or just Almond butter instead of peanut butter? Add honey to the mixture when adding water if you like them sweeter (this will make them stick together better)

After a few hours just cut it up into how many portions you want and leave it in the fridge. I have left mine for longer than a week and it still tasted great.

Make a note of all the ingredients total protein, carbs and fats and then simply divide that number by how many pieces you have and hey presto you have your nutrional values!

We've had our differences on another thread but this sounds a very good recipe and I'll be giving this a crack tonight. Peanut butter is obviously very, very useful but if I'm being honest I hate the stuff. No allergies or anything, I just hate the smell of it. If I can mask that in a flapjack it'd be brilliant!

I'm not a fan myself but try spunk mate. Comes in a canny little receptacle and reasonably cheap even if you don't make your own.

Reckon you'd love it like.

Not impressed by their meat quality either.

I've only had the chicken breasts and steak mince. Thought both were alright especially the mince for quid a packet when on offer.

If they're any good I'll order some for work, as I generally can't be arsed preparing meals the night before, even though I should. Also considering stock-pilling prepped meals from Ninety Nine in Newcastle for convenience.

Canny pricey in there but the couple of times I have been was nice.

1 cup of peanut butter

if they havent set well its probably to much oats and not enough water or peanut butter as the water and peanut butter is the gel in this mixture. Press down on the mixture really hard and sit it in the fridge for a few hours and it should be fine
I used to do a version of this minus the oats, and using milk instead, sticking it in the freezer for thirty minutes for a nice little high-protein snack. Might give this a go, as I've pretty much gave up milk as it's too insulinemic.

We've had our differences on another thread but this sounds a very good recipe and I'll be giving this a crack tonight. Peanut butter is obviously very, very useful but if I'm being honest I hate the stuff. No allergies or anything, I just hate the smell of it. If I can mask that in a flapjack it'd be brilliant!

Maybe switch to almond butter?

I honestly love this receipe.

Took me a few times to nail it properly but its lovely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back