Anyone know of any protein bars that taste nice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Never really thought about it before but if you get unflavoured you must get more actual protein?

Or is the flavouring not a powder in with the protein?

Any ideas?

I've never really given that any thought either. I generally don't look at which flavour I'm ordering. Get it from My Protein and whatever's in the drop down list is what arrives.

I've never really given that any thought either. I generally don't look at which flavour I'm ordering. Get it from My Protein and whatever's in the drop down list is what arrives.

Would be good to find out because if I order a 2kg of unflavoured its guna mostly protein but if I order 2kg of chocolate for example a good amount will be chocolate powder so will be getting less protein?

If anyone knows the answer to this let me know!

Would be good to find out because if I order a 2kg of unflavoured its guna mostly protein but if I order 2kg of chocolate for example a good amount will be chocolate powder so will be getting less protein?

If anyone knows the answer to this let me know!

It's true. Myprotein says that unflavoured whey has the highest percentage of protein. Flavours that include cocoa have the smallest percentage, but I don't know exactly how much less it is. It tells you on the website though.

It's true. Myprotein says that unflavoured whey has the highest percentage of protein. Flavours that include cocoa have the smallest percentage, but I don't know exactly how much less it is. It tells you on the website though.

Cheers I'll have a look.

I may switch to unflavoured if its a significant amount

this is how much I used and method, made about 8-10 good size peices, I use "cup" measurments as I got it off an american. Think a cup is about 250ml so just use a measuring jug if you don't have measuring cups. So just fill jug with oats to the 250ml mark

4 cups of oats (uncooked)
1 cup of peanut butter
4 scoops of whey protein (25g scoops)
water (as much as needed)

Put oats into a mixing bowl, add protein powder and mix then add peanut butter and mix thoroughly till its all mixed evenly. Natural peanut butter tends to be runny so its much easier to use.

Next add water, just keep adding little bits of cold water (tablespoon at a time) just keep adding water till you get a mixture that is stuck together and a bit moist but not soggy! Its really trial en error with the water so just add little bits and keep mixing.

I used a big square air tight container and tip all the mixture into this and use a spatular or fish slice whatever you call them and press down on the misture as hard as you can (this bit is really important so do it well) press down really hard and flaten it as good as you can and refrigerate for at least a few of hours to let them set.

You can add anything to this to make it better depending how healthy you want it, maybe chocolate layer on top? Latyer of peanut butter on top? Or just Almond butter instead of peanut butter? Add honey to the mixture when adding water if you like them sweeter (this will make them stick together better)

After a few hours just cut it up into how many portions you want and leave it in the fridge. I have left mine for longer than a week and it still tasted great.

Make a note of all the ingredients total protein, carbs and fats and then simply divide that number by how many pieces you have and hey presto you have your nutrional values!

if they havent set well its probably to much oats and not enough water or peanut butter as the water and peanut butter is the gel in this mixture. Press down on the mixture really hard and sit it in the fridge for a few hours and it should be fine

Cheers mate first batch weren't pleasant too much water.....second taste decent enough with bit chocolate spread on top.....

Just made a cracking batch myself there:
  1. Mix a tea spoon of natural honey with Whole Earth peanut butter and stick in the microwave for a few mins, then stir.
  2. Mix oats with protein powder - have used Rocky Road Hurricane XS this time as i got it for pretty cheap
  3. Mix both of these together and add a few nuts, sultanas etc if desired. Add a tiny splash of milk and stir all together into a big ball
  4. Flatten and put in a tray and in the oven for around 13 mins on 150
  5. Stick in fridge - Happy days

Just made a cracking batch myself there:
  1. Mix a tea spoon of natural honey with Whole Earth peanut butter and stick in the microwave for a few mins, then stir.
  2. Mix oats with protein powder - have used Rocky Road Hurricane XS this time as i got it for pretty cheap
  3. Mix both of these together and add a few nuts, sultanas etc if desired. Add a tiny splash of milk and stir all together into a big ball
  4. Flatten and put in a tray and in the oven for around 13 mins on 150
  5. Stick in fridge - Happy days

Sounds lovely.

Not sure how true this is but think I read a paper on heating protein powder, I think this gets affected maybe @Charmless Man knows something about this?

Sounds lovely.

Not sure how true this is but think I read a paper on heating protein powder, I think this gets affected maybe @Charmless Man knows something about this?

Never looked into it in terms of supplements but I work with proteins a lot in my PhD. When I prep them for analysis by mass separation I boil them in solution at 95 degrees centigrade. That denatures them but it does not remove any of the amino acids, which are what your body uses. You can still perform mass spec analysis on the solution and detect exactly which amino acids make up the protein.

So the answer is that it shouldn't affect protein content. Denaturing doesn't effect peptide sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back