Anyone gave up sweeteners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR

Striker
I've been having headaches recently, and I've put it down to some medication I've been taking recently, but its occurred to me that I cut out all artificial sweeteners at almost the exact same time.

Could they be the cause of my headaches? Dull, on and off throughout the day. Rather than severe.

I noticed you posted a recently about a new health kick so usually when people start dieting they cut coffee out and get ridiculous migraines due to caffeine withdrawal. It happens quite a lot in our coaching group. I'm not saying it could be that 100% but it's usually the culprit.

I noticed you posted a recently about a new health kick so usually when people start dieting they cut coffee out and get ridiculous migraines due to caffeine withdrawal. It happens quite a lot in our coaching group. I'm not saying it could be that 100% but it's usually the culprit.
I was aware of that. I cut down my coffee intake about 10 months ago tbh. Partly on purpose, but also because I bought the missus a really nice tea maker (much better than it sounds!), so I drink 4x more tea than coffee.
Tea has about half the caffeine?

Certainly not a recent change, though.

You've been reading facebook/mumsnet and the whole aspartame conspiracy eh ?
:lol:
Neither of those places. Started with a JRE podcast, then I started reading research papers and mainstream news media, such as this:
Artificial sweeteners are toxic to digestive gut bacteria: study
There’s even more evidence that artificial sweeteners like aspartame could be dangerous

The facebook/mumsnet stuff is around it causing cancer IIRC, which I don't believe at all. I'm more concerned with the gut microbiobe.

Last edited:
The facebook/mumsnet stuff is around it causing cancer IIRC, which I don't believe at all. I'm more concerned with the gut microbiobe.

Gut microbes causing headaches, rightio !

so was it facebook or mumsnet ?

Reactions: PTR
I stopped putting sugar and sweetener in hot drinks around Easter time and I didn’t have any headaches.

Now if I do add the occasional spoon of sugar in a strong cup of tea then it’s really noticeable.

I stopped putting sugar and sweetener in hot drinks around Easter time and I didn’t have any headaches.

Now if I do add the occasional spoon of sugar in a strong cup of tea then it’s really noticeable.
I had a coffee with sugar the other day (by accident) by the end of that cup,, it didn't even taste sweet anymore. Its weird

Gut microbes causing headaches, rightio !
was it facebook or mumsnet ?
Nah, not that - am I being whooshed?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back