Anyone gave up sweeteners?

PTR

Striker
I've been having headaches recently, and I've put it down to some medication I've been taking recently, but its occurred to me that I cut out all artificial sweeteners at almost the exact same time.

Could they be the cause of my headaches? Dull, on and off throughout the day. Rather than severe.

I noticed you posted a recently about a new health kick so usually when people start dieting they cut coffee out and get ridiculous migraines due to caffeine withdrawal. It happens quite a lot in our coaching group. I'm not saying it could be that 100% but it's usually the culprit.

I noticed you posted a recently about a new health kick so usually when people start dieting they cut coffee out and get ridiculous migraines due to caffeine withdrawal. It happens quite a lot in our coaching group. I'm not saying it could be that 100% but it's usually the culprit.
I was aware of that. I cut down my coffee intake about 10 months ago tbh. Partly on purpose, but also because I bought the missus a really nice tea maker (much better than it sounds!), so I drink 4x more tea than coffee.
Tea has about half the caffeine?

Certainly not a recent change, though.

You've been reading facebook/mumsnet and the whole aspartame conspiracy eh ?
:lol:
Neither of those places. Started with a JRE podcast, then I started reading research papers and mainstream news media, such as this:
Artificial sweeteners are toxic to digestive gut bacteria: study
There’s even more evidence that artificial sweeteners like aspartame could be dangerous

The facebook/mumsnet stuff is around it causing cancer IIRC, which I don't believe at all. I'm more concerned with the gut microbiobe.

Last edited:
The facebook/mumsnet stuff is around it causing cancer IIRC, which I don't believe at all. I'm more concerned with the gut microbiobe.

Gut microbes causing headaches, rightio !

so was it facebook or mumsnet ?

I stopped putting sugar and sweetener in hot drinks around Easter time and I didn’t have any headaches.

Now if I do add the occasional spoon of sugar in a strong cup of tea then it’s really noticeable.

I stopped putting sugar and sweetener in hot drinks around Easter time and I didn’t have any headaches.

Now if I do add the occasional spoon of sugar in a strong cup of tea then it’s really noticeable.
I had a coffee with sugar the other day (by accident) by the end of that cup,, it didn't even taste sweet anymore. Its weird

Gut microbes causing headaches, rightio !
was it facebook or mumsnet ?
Nah, not that - am I being whooshed?

Last edited:

Back