Anyone else worried about their job?

You're right mate. Compared to some of the poor buggers on here, my problems are nowt. I was frustrated yesterday because i got turned down off a call center. They saw through my lies about having an epiphany during my degree and wanting a career in customer service. Not a problem I anticipated.
Don’t really know what an electrical engineering degree involves but surely you could get a job as a sparkies mate? Wages are probably better than call centre money and trades stowed off by all accounts.

Don’t really know what an electrical engineering degree involves but surely you could get a job as a sparkies mate? Wages are probably better than call centre money and trades stowed off by all accounts.
Its designing/testing/maintaining electrical/electronic systems mate. I can just about change a lightbulb and wire a plug, I'm not much use as an electrician at this point.

There's a massive skills shortage for electrical engineering so there'll be plenty of opportunities in time. I just need to get through the summer somehow now i'm off the student finance drip.

Its designing/testing/maintaining electrical/electronic systems mate. I can just about change a lightbulb and wire a plug, I'm not much use as an electrician at this point.

There's a massive skills shortage for electrical engineering so there'll be plenty of opportunities in time. I just need to get through the summer somehow now i'm off the student finance drip.
Sparkies mate is basically a sparkies labourer if you understand how it all works I’m sure someone would take you on. Can’t hurt to ask the question mate. Most trades I know have a back log of work.

Sparkies mate is basically a sparkies labourer if you understand how it all works I’m sure someone would take you on. Can’t hurt to ask the question mate. Most trades I know have a back log of work.
You know what, you're right, it cant hurt. Might learn a few things to help me further down the line. Its something I hadn't thought about to be honest.

I think I'm getting stuck in the mindset that no-one wants me, knowing i'll be off like a shot when graduate jobs pick up again. There's probably no harm in being honest about the situation instead of lying to get a job i dont want. Cheers for that mate, i'll give it a go.

Been to various suppliers etc for building stuff this week and all chaos. Far busier than Ive ever seen!

You know what, you're right, it cant hurt. Might learn a few things to help me further down the line. Its something I hadn't thought about to be honest.

I think I'm getting stuck in the mindset that no-one wants me, knowing i'll be off like a shot when graduate jobs pick up again. There's probably no harm in being honest about the situation instead of lying to get a job i dont want. Cheers for that mate, i'll give it a go.

In experience mate lads will likely respect you a lot more with a little ‘hands on’ behind you.
You can throw it back at them.

Very handy.

In experience mate lads will likely respect you a lot more with a little ‘hands on’ behind you.
You can throw it back at them.

Very handy.
The main gripe I have about the degree is the lack of practical work, it was almost purely theoretical. The reason theres a skill shortage is because students get disheartened by it, thinking theyre going to be sitting in an office doing differential calculus, laplace transforms and fourier series all day. You wouldnt believe how many dropped out or switched to something different altogether.

I'm nowhere near the finished article, i'm terrified of being that graduate with all the qualifications, but cant cut a cable. We all know one of those. So aye, as you say experience could be very useful.

The main gripe I have about the degree is the lack of practical work, it was almost purely theoretical. The reason theres a skill shortage is because students get disheartened by it, thinking theyre going to be sitting in an office doing differential calculus, laplace transforms and fourier series all day. You wouldnt believe how many dropped out or switched to something different altogether.

I'm nowhere near the finished article, i'm terrified of being that graduate with all the qualifications, but cant cut a cable. We all know one of those. So aye, as you say experience could be very useful.
As said above a bit of hands on house bashing will serve you well down the line. A sparky will probably appreciate a lad that understands why he’s doing what he’s doing and realise if they are doing something wrong. Experience with tools comes with time using them. Remember being 18 and working the sites as an engineers chain boy. Used to get graduates in as engineers and I’d have to show them how to do levels and theodolites and mark out stuff off the plans.

I done 5 years hnd building services and I cant think of one item that ive used in my career from it. Mental.

I'm an air traffic controller down south.
Work is awful at the moment.
We can't see many airlines surviving or our company 'nats' surviving.

Was sent home 4 hrs early yesterday, its so quiet. Far too many staff.

The saving grace is that the country will always need atcos, so the government will have to bail the company out, but mass redundancies, or enforced unpaid time off etc seem a reality.

If we do survive, I'd assume it's going to be years of hurt for everyone in the aviation industry.

Nothing I can do about it, so I'm trying to not get too stressed, and I assume there will be loads in worse situations, so feel guilty being so self absorbed too.

I'm sorry to read this and I imagine it will be pretty worrying. I think you are correct that the income in the aviation industry will drop dramatically and may not recover for several years to come. You shouldn't feel guilty about feeling worried or stressed though. Yes there will be people in worse situations but that doesn't make your own worries trivial or any less real, otherwise nobody except the unluckiest person in the world would worry about anything.

On the positive side, working for NATS you must have a special skillset that sets you apart from most people. They are desirable and transferable skills. If you need to adapt and change careers then you're in a strong position to do so.

I hope that you get sorted, either with government help for NATS or a change of direction.

Last edited:
I'm being served months notice on 31st July. Been on furlough since 3rd April so will have been off for 6 months.

Not looking for jobs at the minute as really need to decide if i carry on in my industry - the way i feel at the moment i'm really not sure.

I'm being served months notice on 31st July. Been on furlough since 3rd April so will have been off for 6 months.

Not looking for jobs at the minute as really need to decide if i carry on in my industry - the way i feel at the moment i'm really not sure.
April wasn’t 6 month ago marra

@Aituk7 is in this field I think so may be a good contact

good luck mate

Back