Any one play chess

It's a reasonable rule of thumb for a novice as F2 is one of the weakest squares on the board - but like any rule you need to know when to break it.

Also, call me a old git but I prefer the descriptive notation to the algebraic form. I know the algebraic (E4) has been the official standards since the 90s, is easier for beginners and is always unambiguous but the descriptive style (PKB4) gives more information.
Descriptive notation sounds better but algebraic form is neater and more precise, eg How would you say which of two possible pawns KB4 & Q4 would take a pawn on K5? D4xE5 is easier than PQ4xK5.

The fact that numbering is different from the white and the black end really used to cause me headaches if I wanted to compare my game record against that of my opponent!

On top of that, if you are really screwed if your opponent is foreign and uses different terms from you, say they are Spanish and use R (rey) for king, D (dama) for queen, C (caballo) for knight or T (torre) for rook (they literally call it a tower).

Descriptive notation sounds better but algebraic form is neater and more precise, eg How would you say which of two possible pawns KB4 & Q4 would take a pawn on K5? D4xE5 is easier than PQ4xK5.

The fact that numbering is different from the white and the black end really used to cause me headaches if I wanted to compare my game record against that of my opponent!

On top of that, if you are really screwed if your opponent is foreign and uses different terms from you, say they are Spanish and use R (rey) for king, D (dama) for queen, C (caballo) for knight or T (torre) for rook (they literally call it a tower).

Yes, all of these reasons, especially for international usage, are why the algebraic notation became standard - just call me an old fart who learned in the 70s and it was all descriptive back then. I guess you just tend to prefer what you were first taught.

Yes, all of these reasons, especially for international usage, are why the algebraic notation became standard - just call me an old fart who learned in the 70s and it was all descriptive back then. I guess you just tend to prefer what you were first taught.
I learned in the 70s too, and I like the life in the descriptive notation - it's a bit like having a favourite chess set, somehow it just feels more natural. I love playing using my unpainted battle of Hastings set but using hate Isle of Lewis (or is that more just me?)

It just gave me headaches that you would have different notation in different books - and eventually I stopped trying to study the game and just played casually. I could have been somebody, I could have been a contender! :lol:

I learned in the 70s too, and I like the life in the descriptive notation - it's a bit like having a favourite chess set, somehow it just feels more natural. I love playing using my unpainted battle of Hastings set but using hate Isle of Lewis (or is that more just me?)

It just gave me headaches that you would have different notation in different books - and eventually I stopped trying to study the game and just played casually. I could have been somebody, I could have been a contender! :lol:

Yeah, I feel the same way. As I said earlier I played inter-club competitive chess as a teen but there comes a point in mastering any sport or musical instrument that you need to put some serious study in if you want to get properly good rather than an enthusiastic amateur. I was born with no sporting or musical talent at all so chess is probably the only thing I've ever done where I could have been a player.

The trouble is that at age where I needed to learn my book openings inside out, I was also discovering girls, beer and other distractions. I can just about manage a classic Ruy Lopez now.

I've just joined chess.com. Never played for years and even then I would class myself as beginner. Anyone of similar standard fancy a game send me a invite. Drop me a PM and I'll send you my username

Last edited:
Just won my first online game after a pretty hefty losing streak. And even then I was pretty shameful, missed 5 wins, managed to lose my queen in the end game (i had knight and queen vs a rook) and only won as my opponent timed out and I had 2 seconds left. As wins go, it's very much a Phil Parkinson early this season kind of win but I'll take it!

What you playing on? I’ll give you a game on Chess.com.

I honestly couldn’t play then slowly got the hang of it and started to win a few games and really close on most others and only been playing about a year. Not played a game in months mind.

My user name is GoatEyes

Really close on most others !

I used to destroy you

Back