Any M.O.T testers on here?

suddick mac

Midfield
Car is booked in for an M.O.T next week and it has an edge crack on the drivers side at the bottom of the windscreen which then turns upwards at the edge of the frame.
It is a single line crack so the diameter obviously can't be measured and all I can see online is that if it exceeds certain diameters in specific areas it will fail but can't find any guidance on this type of crack.
Don't really have time to get it done before the M.O.T as I am working away so looking for advice whether it will fail as I can't afford the car to be off the road but plan to get it done as soon as I can.

Car is booked in for an M.O.T next week and it has an edge crack on the drivers side at the bottom of the windscreen which then turns upwards at the edge of the frame.
It is a single line crack so the diameter obviously can't be measured and all I can see online is that if it exceeds certain diameters in specific areas it will fail but can't find any guidance on this type of crack.
Don't really have time to get it done before the M.O.T as I am working away so looking for advice whether it will fail as I can't afford the car to be off the road but plan to get it done as soon as I can.
If you don’t get an answer, pop a photo of the windscreen crack on here or dm me and I’ll ask my daughter (no), she’s an MOT tester

If you don’t get an answer, pop a photo of the windscreen crack on here or dm me and I’ll ask my daughter (no), she’s an MOT tester
Cheers mate but no idea how to post pictures on here. The crack is about three inches long at the very bottom and runs along to the pillar then turns and goes up the edge of the pillar about another two inches. Coil spring snapped and a pothole has caused both. Roads are an absoloute disgrace but that's another conversatiom entirely.
Think it has to be in the drivers vision to fail so if near bottom of frame should be OK?
Used to be but the windscreen is now split into zones but the only guidance I can find is about diameters of the cracka which isn't relevent to this type of crack so I am really not sure what the rules are with this.

Last edited:
If it’s not in the swept area (where the windscreen wipers sweep), it shouldn’t fail.

There’s a good mobile fitter below who will come to your home, place of work and would probably do it in the next few days. MOT, you’re entitled to a free retest anyway. Just get it booked in to have the windscreen repaired and take the free retest if needed, they’ll only check the windscreen second time round, so in and out in no time.

🚘Kwikscreens Northeast 🚘

🚙 windscreens 🚙

🚗 heated rears 🚗

🚙 door glass's 🚙

🚗 quarter glass 🚗

🚙 stone chip repairs 🚙

😁kwik reliable friendly competitive service😃

📲 07746272797 📱

🌍 sunderland • newcastle • durham 🌍
🌍surrounding areas🌍

If it’s not in the swept area (where the windscreen wipers sweep), it shouldn’t fail.

There’s a good mobile fitter below who will come to your home, place of work and would probably do it in the next few days. MOT, you’re entitled to a free retest anyway. Just get it booked in to have the windscreen repaired and take the free retest if needed, they’ll only check the windscreen second time round, so in and out in no time.

🚘Kwikscreens Northeast 🚘

🚙 windscreens 🚙

🚗 heated rears 🚗

🚙 door glass's 🚙

🚗 quarter glass 🚗

🚙 stone chip repairs 🚙

📲 07746272797 📱

🌍surrounding areas🌍
Not enough emojis

🚘Kwikscreens Northeast 🚘

🚙 windscreens 🚙

🚗 heated rears 🚗

🚙 door glass's 🚙

🚗 quarter glass 🚗

🚙 stone chip repairs 🚙

📲 07746272797 📱

🌍surrounding areas🌍
I live in Scotland now mate but cheers anyway.

It would be classed as being in the swept area like as the crack at the bottom is right above where the wiper blade sits.
Shouldn't fail like but is it not covered under your insurance?
Failing that could you not stick a sticker owa it to hide it
It is covered. There is a £175 excess which I am not arsed about and plan to get it done as soon as I can, I just can't afford to have the car off the road as I need it for work next week.

Last edited:
Didnt realise until my car was about to fail its mot the other week that your not meant to drive a car if its failed until its fixed. Garage couldnt fix it (brakes) until a few days later and i didnt want to have a few days stranded so i just got them to give it the once over , they identified it would fail and so i just booked it in the week after when they could fix it same day. Wasnt even a massive issue, hand brake had a bit too much play on it and a back caliper was sticking. Think some brake pipes needed doing as well but everything still worked

Seemed a bit daft considering it still had 3 or 4 weeks of test left on it

Last edited:
Didnt realise until my car was about to fail its mot the other week that your not meant to drive a car if its failed until its fixed. Garage couldnt fix it (brakes) until a few days later and i didnt want to have a few days stranded so i just got them to give it the once over , they identified it would fail and so i just booked it in the week after when they could fix it same day. Wasnt even a massive issue, hand brake had a bit too much play on it and a back caliper was sticking. Think some brake pipes needed doing as well but everything still worked

It's an unroadyworthy vehicle, of course you cant leagaly drive it.

It's an unroadyworthy vehicle, of course you cant leagaly drive it.
You used to be able to drive until your M.O.T officially expired even after a failed M.O.T but the law changed recently and now only allowed ro drive it for planned repairs or retest.

Have you not rang your insurer? Pretty sure the national companies come out really quick, usually done within a day, worth a try.

Have you not rang your insurer? Pretty sure the national companies come out really quick, usually done within a day, worth a try.
I'm going to try them tomorrow mate. Car is booked in for Tuesday so I am hoping that they can come out to my work on Monday and do it. Just looking for advice imcase I can't get it done in time so I am not stuck without a car and can't get to work.
No it wasn't.
It was. The law changed in 2018.Changes to the MOT
No it wasn't.
It was. The law changed in 2018.Changes to the MOT

Last edited:
You Def could mate. Have always took mine in a month early and if it failed I had a month to sort it. Have had a good run so this year was the first year I realised it was a thing
Same here mate. Always used to take mine a month early as well as you got 13 month anyway if it passed. The only way you weren't allowed to still drive it was if it failes on a major defect but your current M.O.T was stupidly still valid anyway which is why they changed the law on this.

Anyway, is there nee bloody M.O.T testers on here that cam answer my OP so I can sleep toneet.🤣

You Def could mate. Have always took mine in a month early and if it failed I had a month to sort it. Have had a good run so this year was the first year I realised it was a thing
Nah, what was sorted out was a new MOT cancelling the old one. If your vehicle failed the MOT it was unroadworthy full stop, you could only drive to a place of repair or for a retest, there was no provision for driving around until the old one ran out. Some bell working for the Gov put out a notice saying that an new MOT cancelled out the old one when it wasn't true and caused a lot of confusion. IF you car fails an MOT it is still MOT'ed so if it wasn't fixed and you continued to drive it you be done for driving an unroadyworty vehicle not driving without a MOT.
Same here mate. Always used to take mine a month early as well as you got 13 month anyway if it passed. The only way you weren't allowed to still drive it was if it failes on a major defect but your current M.O.T was stupidly still valid anyway which is why they changed the law on this.

Anyway, is there nee bloody M.O.T testers on here that cam answer my OP so I can sleep toneet.🤣
The MOT is pass or fail.

Some garages do a pre MOT when booked in with a MOT. My 1st one is due in July and looking at some results on here putting car reg and post code, it's £10.

Book in the pre MOT a few weeks before the MOT and your old MOT is still valid to fix owt that's wrong and it should fly through MOT as long as nowt goes wrong in between

Last edited:

Back