Any electricians on here?

I'm trying to replace an old rose type light ceiling light with a new double insulated light...cannot seem to replicate with the connectors to get it to work.

Definitely switched it off and back on. Sick off getting up and down the ladder, and I'm still here!
Even went back to basic and wired up the loop in to live/neutral and made sure the light itself was working and it stayed on.

Definitely switched it off and back on. Sick off getting up and down the ladder, and I'm still here!
Even went back to basic and wired up the loop in to live/neutral and made sure the light itself was working and it stayed on.
Ha the lost switch wire situation, I used to get loads of these when I worked for the council

Start again. What does the last sentence mean?
I'd guess he's confused because it's the type of ceiling rose that has built in junction box terminals. There will be connections at the ceiling rose for the mains to loop in and out to the next light fitting. He'll just have two wires on his new fitting but more wires and connections at the rose. If he's just took all the wires out of the rose he likely doesn't know which is the switched live. Especially if it is using a neutral wire and isn't marked as a live.

Start again. What does the last sentence mean?
I'd guess he's confused because it's the type of ceiling rose that has built in junction box terminals. There will be connections at the ceiling rose for the mains to loop in and out to the next light fitting. He'll just have two wires on his new fitting but more wires and connections at the rose. If he's just took all the wires out of the rose he likely doesn't know which is the switched live. Especially if it is using a neutral wire and isn't marked as a live.
Pretty much this, old ceiling rose and the new light just needed live/neural. At the ceiling rose the cables weren't labelled and the neutral wasn't marked as switched live, but it was at the switch itself.

I've fitted a new switch (old one was a dimmer) and it's now working...for now!

Bang on.

Back