Another Derry Boy

LeChatNoir

Goalkeeper
My first SAFC hero, Johnny Crossan. Part of that unforgettable team that took us back to the First Division, and who went on to captain Man City to promotion soon after. His goals, alongside Nick Sharkey and George Mulhall, combined with the defensive qualities of King Charlie etc. made us proud again, following the indignities of the 1950s.

I went to an England U23 game at SJP and met him and Neil Young (Man City, not CSNY.) He was signing autographs for everybody and came across as a real good bloke. I got a few canny autographs that night including Shack, Jackie Milburn, Cloughie and loads more.

Last I heard he was still running a sports shop in Derry and involved in youth football. Hope he's ok, must be a canny age!

Proper Sunderland legend!

Great player.
Londonderry
Johnny Crossan started his career at Derry City ,then Coleraine banned from UK football .Went to Spara Rotterdam,Standard Liege.UK ban lifted ,signed SAFC for £23,000.
82 league games 39 goals ,10 fa cup 8 goals.
For some reason we sold him to Man City for 40,000 where he was successful.
Up till quite recently he was commentating for Radio Foyle on Derry City games.

My first SAFC hero, Johnny Crossan. Part of that unforgettable team that took us back to the First Division, and who went on to captain Man City to promotion soon after. His goals, alongside Nick Sharkey and George Mulhall, combined with the defensive qualities of King Charlie etc. made us proud again, following the indignities of the 1950s.

I went to an England U23 game at SJP and met him and Neil Young (Man City, not CSNY.) He was signing autographs for everybody and came across as a real good bloke. I got a few canny autographs that night including Shack, Jackie Milburn, Cloughie and loads more.

Last I heard he was still running a sports shop in Derry and involved in youth football. Hope he's ok, must be a canny age!

Last I heard Johnny was running a pub in Derry with a football pitch in the beer garden.

84 year old in November

Good read this

Really enjoyed the article,answered a lot I didn’t know but rise’s other questions.Sunderland to pay £10,000 ,haft to Derry City the rest to Jobby ,was that normal practice in 1957 ? And why did a 19 year old on £3 a game turn it down to go to Coleraine

Great player was Johnny Crossan

He was my favourite forward in that Promotion winning team, He also scored one of the best solo goals I have seen when he dribbled down the wing, then cut inside to scoere the first goal at Old Trafford in the first game of that trilogy.
The goal used to be shown at the beginng of "Shoot" on a Sunday afternoon. Anyone got a Video of it?

He was my favourite forward in that Promotion winning team, He also scored one of the best solo goals I have seen when he dribbled down the wing, then cut inside to scoere the first goal at Old Trafford in the first game of that trilogy.
The goal used to be shown at the beginng of "Shoot" on a Sunday afternoon. Anyone got a Video of it?
Mine too
Loved that goal

Have just watched this programme, thank you for the heads up, must admit I didn’t know the full back story of * Jobby*.

You're very welcome wish I'd been old enought to see him play my dad and elder brother speal very highly of him.

https://www.theguardian.com › sport › blog › 2011 › nov › 02 › forgotten-story-john-crossan-ban
Green domain

The forgotten story of ... John Crossan's ban from football​

John Crossan's ban from football Banned for 'life' in 1959, the former Northern Ireland forward can consider himself the most harshly treated footballer of all time John Crossan,...

Belter, that!

Last edited:
Unfortunately only saw the other Derry born player at Sunderland...James McLean..........Was Johnny as controversial and argumentative as him?

Back