Anderson

scotch

Striker
Could be a case that he misses the rest of the series if it's a side strain as suspected, think he should miss the Sri Lanka's series imo.
Is there a case to play him in home tests only from now on, let him get to 600 wickets and say thank you and good bye.

Can he be managed to another ashes series? (He will be 39!) If he can perform like this every 1 in 3 games etc...would be great to have as an experienced bowler in australia (cant see both him and broad going and tbf broad has bowled superbly on his last 2 tours there).

Goughy saying that as a bowler when you get to Jimmy's age you tend to just get injury after injury and there's nothing you can do stop it no matter how well you train and prep, your body just isnt build for fast bowling at his age.

England need to prepare for life after Jimmy and broad, think only 1 should go abroad in the next few series.

The management need to discuss with both to manage their retirements and make sure we dont end up like australia losing Gillespie,mcgrath and warne in the space of two series taking years to rebuild.

Could be a case that he misses the rest of the series if it's a side strain as suspected, think he should miss the Sri Lanka's series imo.
Is there a case to play him in home tests only from now on, let him get to 600 wickets and say thank you and good bye.

Can he be managed to another ashes series? (He will be 39!) If he can perform like this every 1 in 3 games etc...would be great to have as an experienced bowler in australia (cant see both him and broad going and tbf broad has bowled superbly on his last 2 tours there).

Goughy saying that as a bowler when you get to Jimmy's age you tend to just get injury after injury and there's nothing you can do stop it no matter how well you train and prep, your body just isnt build for fast bowling at his age.

England need to prepare for life after Jimmy and broad, think only 1 should go abroad in the next few series.

The management need to discuss with both to manage their retirements and make sure we dont end up like australia losing Gillespie,mcgrath and warne in the space of two series taking years to rebuild.
We will see the extent of his injury but if its anything longer than a few weeks it might make his mind up anyway. We've played enough bowlers and have enough in reserve to be in a position to go with life after him anyway although he isnt really gonna be replaced.

Gutting that it’s ending like this for the lad, he deserves better, but hope he gets a chance to retire in a blaze of glory instead of being remembered as someone who dragged it out too long

Since he turned 35 he averages 21 with the ball or summat. I don’t think he will be remembered badly

didn’t mean it like that, his form when he plays is exceptional. But you can do a lot of reputations damage if you drag out an injury phase for long enough. A bit like Andy Murray is doing at the moment

I think we already have started to move on. Stokes and Archer are the focal point of the attack now.

Anderson as the bowling coach forthwith-if he can also play the occasional game that'll be a bonus. Must have a tremendous amount to offer to potential test bowlers.

I think we already have started to move on. Stokes and Archer are the focal point of the attack now.

Stokes isn’t, he has to be managed.

An extremely good 4th seamer, 3rd in Sri Lanka, but always has a niggle.

He was 7th to bowl in South Africa’s 2nd Innings and is used sparingly at times

He's as brilliant as he's ever been but his body is struggling with the demands of the game.

Unfortunately none of the new lads, despite pleasing cameos, is anywhere near the same quality. Archer and Stokes have fitness issues and are best used as impact bowlers, Woakes has struggled for consistency and never really achieved his full potential, Curran has had a good winter and was thrown the new ball today but is working his way up from fourth to third seamer. Mark Wood will only ever play a handful of games for England, I'm afraid.
Neither seems fit enough to bowl a proper extended spell. I don't think Ben will ever be used as more than an impact bowler.

Last edited:

I watched Jimmy in Sri Lanka in 2018 and he was a passenger tbf. His game not suited at all to the pitches they put up.

Doesn't sound like the injury is as bad as first feared but he is at the stage now where realistically one more major injury is the end of the road. I would have him in or around the squad next summer, but we need to plan for the future now. I would say the same for Broad also. I don't think either will be on another overseas tour after this one.

Back