American House Numbers

CatRyan

Striker
Just watching something and the house number comes up as 289126 or something. How come they have such high numbers?
Is there a number 1 and then all the rest up to that? Are the numbers for an area as opposed to just a street? Are they references as opposed to sequential?

Just watching something and the house number comes up as 289126 or something. How come they have such high numbers?
Is there a number 1 and then all the rest up to that? Are the numbers for an area as opposed to just a street? Are they references as opposed to sequential?
As I understand it, every 10ft is 1, so if your house is central in a plot 30 ft wide, your number would be 2…..but then you add the nearest intersection number, which could be 23, then your house number becomes 232. Until the next intersection which may be 45, then you start again with 452. And so on.
On long roads, which there are many, and in cities especially, the numbers are by block, so if you live in the 10th block, you would generally start with 10, then the numbers as above, so could be 10432.
And so on.
Simples………😂
The post office issues house numbers, street numbers and block numbers, so blame them.

Very long streets 🤔
With lots of houses 🤔

The postmen/women must be fit as fuck over there or be top of the class at maths.
They all drive post vans. Very few areas have deliveries directly to the house, the vast majority are put into a lockbox, located on each block, with each house number having a locking cubbyhole, and only the post office and the resident have a key for theircubby. (If you lose your key, you have to go to the post office for a replacement as it's against federal law to get one cut yourself).
Logon or register to see this image

Houses out in the country have those boxes on posts, which are always right on the road so that the postman doesn't have to get out of his/her van.
(biggest purchaser of right hand drive vehicles in America is the Post office, though theyvalso do rhd conversions)

These must be very deprived areas or some other anomaly as have never come across this...I don't think.
Why must it be deprived areas?

They all drive post vans. Very few areas have deliveries directly to the house, the vast majority are put into a lockbox, located on each block, with each house number having a locking cubbyhole, and only the post office and the resident have a key for theircubby. (If you lose your key, you have to go to the post office for a replacement as it's against federal law to get one cut yourself).

Houses out in the country have those boxes on posts, which are always right on the road so that the postman doesn't have to get out of his/her van.
(biggest purchaser of right hand drive vehicles in America is the Post office, though theyvalso do rhd conversions)

Interesting, don't think over 25 years I've ever noticed a house number over 500.

It’s baffled me since I moved here over 20 years ago.

Probably about 80 houses in our street, which I guess is like a crescent.

Ours is 5 numbers long.
Daft but that’s the way it is.

Probably depends where you live. Pretty standard where I am - we’re 44 and next door on our side is 46

I wouldn’t say that’s all accurate - maybe some developments have those lockbox boxes, but I’ve lived in several towns, not a house in the country, and I’ve always had my own mailbox on a post, as have most homes in those towns

Last edited:
Probably depends where you live. Pretty standard where I am - we’re 44 and next door on our side is 46

I wouldn’t say that’s all accurate - maybe some developments have those lockbox boxes, but I’ve lived in several towns, not a house in the country, and I’ve always had my own mailbox on a post, as have most homes in those towns

We have a lock box, but it’s a townhouse.
Only single family homes tend to have mailboxes at the end of their drives.
At least here in Virginia.

As you say, it depends where you live, but single mailboxes at the end of your drive in urban and suburban are being phased out as a policy that the post office put into place several years ago to move toward cluster boxes and common mail facilities. It obviously becomes more difficult in more rural areas.
The post office here, like the uk, is trying to save money on everything and delivering lotos of mail to one point is more efficient.
All new developments HOA's are instructed to install cluster mailboxes.
An interesting note for those who have postboxes at their property: "Assuming a USPS-compliant mailbox is installed and ready for use, it's considered federal property. In other words, the homeowner doesn't legally own his or her mailbox; it's the property of the U.S. government. Prior to installation, however, mailboxes aren't federal property." - so you can go to the store and buy a new mailbox, but as soon as its installed it becomes federal property.

Canada is the same, I have a cubby hole mailbox 40 yards from the house.

There's a street in Toronto that's 34 miles long.
Yongue Street in Toronto is 53 miles long. Or 1,178 miles long. Depending on your perspective.

I used to work for a company that had a location in Canada “at the end of Yongue Street”. The bloke I knew who worked there would say ‘turn left at xyz ( I forget.. he was giving directions from the airport) in Toronto and when you’re on Yonge Street drive about a thousand miles north on it’.

I’ve since learned that Yongue Street links with Highway 11 so isn’t, in reality, a thousand plus miles long.

“The Guineas book of Records used to say that Yonge Street was 1,896 km (1,178 mi) long, making it the longest street in the world; this was due to a conflation of Yonge Street with the rest of Highway 11.

The street (including the Bradford-to-Barrie extension) is only 86 kilometres (53 mi) long.” (Wiki”

Yongue Street in Toronto is 53 miles long. Or 1,178 miles long. Depending on your perspective.

I used to work for a company that had a location in Canada “at the end of Yongue Street”. The bloke I knew who worked there would say ‘turn left at xyz ( I forget.. he was giving directions from the airport) in Toronto and when you’re on Yonge Street drive about a thousand miles north on it’.

I’ve since learned that Yongue Street links with Highway 11 so isn’t, in reality, a thousand plus miles long.

“The Guineas book of Records used to say that Yonge Street was 1,896 km (1,178 mi) long, making it the longest street in the world; this was due to a conflation of Yonge Street with the rest of Highway 11.

The street (including the Bradford-to-Barrie extension) is only 86 kilometres (53 mi) long.” (Wiki”
Yes, been on yonge many times, your right wiki put it at 1000+ miles, seen it. I have seen it quoted as 34 miles long, and many distances in between.

Back