American Directions... ordinal points

CatRyan

Striker
Do you know North, South etc wherever you are like Americans seem to?

Is it because they are a relatively modern nation and have deliberate grid systems? Guessing here

Not sure this warrants a sensible answer (and this isn't one either, in truth) but most of them never venture past their home turf so you'd expect them to know which way is which, when asked.

For (sort of) context, only 37% of Americans have a passport. By comparison about 87% of Brits have one.

Your norths, your souths, they're your cardinal compass points. If you want ordinals you have to reach for your north-easts, your south-wests.
See... I'm really challenged with directions and dimensions etc 🤪 yet all Americans seem to be comfortable giving directions using compass points
Not sure this warrants a sensible answer (and this isn't one either, in truth) but most of them never venture past their home turf so you'd expect them to know which way is which, when asked.

For (sort of) context, only 37% of Americans have a passport. By comparison about 87% of Brits have one.
I think that 37% must include military as I've heard much lower percentages

They always seem to say I was going south on 4th then east on Franklin or something where we may say that on a big motorway but when giving directions to the pub we would say go down / up then left / right

Last edited:
See... I'm really challenged with directions and dimensions etc 🤪 yet all Americans seem to be comfortable giving directions using compass points

I think that 37% must include military as I've heard much lower percentages

They always seem to say I was going south on 4th then east on Franklin or something where we may say that on a big motorway but when giving directions to the pub we would say go down / up then left / right
As you say, a street system in a grid makes it a lot easier. Personally I prefer quirky unplanned street layouts like you get in London, far more interesting, if obviously harder to navigate. One of the things I love about London, just wandering aimlessly and finding unexpected places as you go.

Most us cities run a grid system so when they say go north on madison it translates to us saying go that way until you come to the third turn.

As for never eat shredded wheat look at the sun and time of day.

Never been to the States but always pretty much know roughly which way I'm facing
Pretty easy in the majority of the UK with a coast non to far away .

Most us cities run a grid system so when they say go north on madison it translates to us saying go that way until you come to the third turn.

As for never eat shredded wheat look at the sun and time of day.
Having driven around Manhattan it’s easier than any U.K. city especially Milton Keynes .
That said it’s a drag race to the next set of lights .

Back