Alzheimer's Blood Test

A new blood test that will detect it 15 years before symptoms show,
They are saying a national screening programme for over 50's
Testing
But would you want to know?, unless they had a cure I would rather not know what lies ahead.

Not sure if I’m honest.

Its ok saying a new blood test will detect, but will it be able to determine what form of Alzheimer’s you could eventually suffer from?

My Mam, developed Frontotemporal Dementia, and this is the rare form that affects speech, coordination and muscles. I watched her deteriorate quickly over a period of four months. To the point she had become incontinent, no longer able to tell people what she wanted and eventually no longer able to swallow food and drink liquids. The last eleven days of her life were the hardest, because we could only sit and hold her hand, stroking her hair and keep smiling for her, because it was hard part to respect her wishes to have no artificial medical intravention.

I just hope those above in this thread who are making jokes about this disease are never put in to position of having to care for a loved one who have developed this horrid thing, or are forced to make the hard choice of whether to prolong their suffering, or agree to let them just go.

I've defo got early onset dementia. I simply can't recall short term stuff. I've lost a set of car keys today that I had in my pocket. Left the house to put petrol in. No wallet. Traded a massive trade earlier and had to look at the confirm to see what I did.
Same I’m f***ing useless, my short term ability to learn anything seems exceptionally poor these days.

Same here. My nanna has been in a home for 5 or 6 years with it and is currently pretty much in a vegetative state, not eating and basically looks like a corpse as she wastes away not eating. Been like that for around 2 months now after she had a stroke that took most of the eyesight she had left. Rotten to see her deteriorate in this way.

This test would just mean I'd be planning my demise in advance if it found anything. It's not like they can do much if spotted early as far as I know so a screening programme seems futile.
Exact same situation with my nana.

Spent the last couple of years of her life in a home, I really didn't like going to see her when I did, because it wasn't her.

Same here. My nanna has been in a home for 5 or 6 years with it and is currently pretty much in a vegetative state, not eating and basically looks like a corpse as she wastes away not eating. Been like that for around 2 months now after she had a stroke that took most of the eyesight she had left. Rotten to see her deteriorate in this way.

This test would just mean I'd be planning my demise in advance if it found anything. It's not like they can do much if spotted early as far as I know so a screening programme seems futile.
I half caught the news report on the BBC last night about this. There’s apparently a couple of treatments which slow down the symptoms already but they need to start in the early stages of the disease, so this early diagnosis could be a game changer for a lot of people.

A new blood test that will detect it 15 years before symptoms show,
They are saying a national screening programme for over 50's
Testing
But would you want to know?, unless they had a cure I would rather not know what lies ahead.
I absolutely want to know, it's in our family.

As for treatment there's some interesting study being done with ultrasound as it's a jelly-type plaque that causes all the misery.

I've defo got early onset dementia. I simply can't recall short term stuff. I've lost a set of car keys today that I had in my pocket. Left the house to put petrol in. No wallet. Traded a massive trade earlier and had to look at the confirm to see what I did.

Another one like you here, 10-15 years ago I was sharp as a knife, I very occasionally do some family history, recently I was looking at stuff I only just remember doing a year or so ago yet I remember stuff from when I was at school 40 odd years ago.

My mother was like that in her later years but she was 10 or more years older than I am now, nowt too bad, like some of the posts on this thread, I am getting worried about it lately like.

Another one like you here, 10-15 years ago I was sharp as a knife, I very occasionally do some family history, recently I was looking at stuff I only just remember doing a year or so ago yet I remember stuff from when I was at school 40 odd years ago.

My mother was like that in her later years but she was 10 or more years older than I am now, nowt too bad, like some of the posts on this thread, I am getting worried about it lately like.
I've gone into momento mode. I carry a diary around with me and write daily tasks on my hand. I woke up on Sunday and had to think what I'd done Saturday evening. I knew I'd done something but didn't know what. I'd taken daughter 1 to church for her communion briefing but had to check the car app to see where I'd been. It's rather worrying.

I've gone into momento mode. I carry a diary around with me and write daily tasks on my hand. I woke up on Sunday and had to think what I'd done Saturday evening. I knew I'd done something but didn't know what. I'd taken daughter 1 to church for her communion briefing but had to check the car app to see where I'd been. It's rather worrying.

Your one earlier with the keys, I was in my sisters and when I was leaving said I can't find my car keys, we looked for a while and she said look there in your hand, how the fuck did I do that, worrying, definitely.

I'd want to know as my mam and her mam has/had it and it's soul destroying watching someone go through this. My mother has Lewy Bodies Dementia with Parkinson's and while she's in a good place being looked after it's still a shit show for her even if she's not so sure what's going from one hour to the next.

As has been mentioned they have identified various types of factors that result in the type of dementia/alzheimer's that someone suffers with and each has one has a possible treatment that can slow its progress.

From specific drug treatments to gene therapy and hormone treatments. So if a simple blood test can highlight that and a therapy put in place to slow I down, then I'd be for that.

Your one earlier with the keys, I was in my sisters and when I was leaving said I can't find my car keys, we looked for a while and she said look there in your hand, how the fuck did I do that, worrying, definitely.
I know they're in the house. I just can't find them. I bought a basket to put all of my crap into next to the front door so I don't lose stuff. Still lost.

odd one this with things like life insurance, no doubt they will want to know the results
When you get asked for medical forms for life insurance they specifically state they don’t want the results of any genetic tests so should be ok. Also you can just get the test done privately and don’t tell anyone

When you get asked for medical forms for life insurance they specifically state they don’t want the results of any genetic tests so should be ok. Also you can just get the test done privately and don’t tell anyone
I've got an Aviva one in front of me now and it makes no reference to ignoring genetic testing. its specifically states;

within the last 5 years, other than in respect of the conditions that you have already declared have you:
had any consultations, tests or screenings, or are you awaiting the results of any tests or investigations?

it then asks for you to state what test/screenings you've had done and the outcome.

like I say, its a slippery slope, and what you absolutely do not want to do, is have a test done privately and don't tell anyone, because if they get wind, you'll be lucky to get a 50% payout at best, fuck all more than likely.

I've got an Aviva one in front of me now and it makes no reference to ignoring genetic testing. its specifically states;

within the last 5 years, other than in respect of the conditions that you have already declared have you:
had any consultations, tests or screenings, or are you awaiting the results of any tests or investigations?

it then asks for you to state what test/screenings you've had done and the outcome.

like I say, its a slippery slope, and what you absolutely do not want to do, is have a test done privately and don't tell anyone, because if they get wind, you'll be lucky to get a 50% payout at best, fuck all more than likely.
I was talking about when your doctor gets the medical to complete they specifically state not to include results of genetic testing.

This is a blood test. Not a genetic test.
Genetic tests are often run on blood - I have no idea of the specifics of the test but they got a genetics professor in the article to comment on it

I was talking about when your doctor gets the medical to complete they specifically state not to include results of genetic testing.

Genetic tests are often run on blood - I have no idea of the specifics of the test but they got a genetics professor in the article to comment on it
"The test works by measuring levels of a protein called p-tau217 in the blood that indicate biological changes taking place in the brain during Alzheimer’s disease."

"The test works by measuring levels of a protein called p-tau217 in the blood that indicate biological changes taking place in the brain during Alzheimer’s disease."

Aye probably you are right and isnt a genetic test

I personally would not get it done - its unlikely to be black and white in terms of results and there arent any effective treatments for Alzheimers currently

I guess they will need to do a study on folk with no symptoms and found to be high risk to see if current meds work in that situation - mind it will be a very long study so no results for many years

Back