Alzheimer's Blood Test

A new blood test that will detect it 15 years before symptoms show,
They are saying a national screening programme for over 50's
Testing
But would you want to know?, unless they had a cure I would rather not know what lies ahead.
I think I probably would. If I knew it was coming, then could have conversations with family.

I've seen first hand what it can do to people, and I don't think I'd want to be around if I got to the stage my Nana was at, she was the same person we had always known to look at but thats about it.

If I ever came close to that I think i'd prefer to take matters into my own hands, but thats a different discussion entirely.

I think I probably would. If I knew it was coming, then could have conversations with family.

I've seen first hand what it can do to people, and I don't think I'd want to be around if I got to the stage my Nana was at, she was the same person we had always known to look at but thats about it.

If I ever came close to that I think i'd prefer to take matters into my own hands, but thats a different discussion entirely.

Same here. My nanna has been in a home for 5 or 6 years with it and is currently pretty much in a vegetative state, not eating and basically looks like a corpse as she wastes away not eating. Been like that for around 2 months now after she had a stroke that took most of the eyesight she had left. Rotten to see her deteriorate in this way.

This test would just mean I'd be planning my demise in advance if it found anything. It's not like they can do much if spotted early as far as I know so a screening programme seems futile.

There may not be a cure right now but there could be one day and it is believed there are things you can do even currently to reduce its onset/impact. So yes, I'd want to know, even if it's just a case of being able to plan the future better for the sake of others. It might also affect some financial decisions, or change how you choose to live your good years while you can (eg hookers and blow).

A new blood test that will detect it 15 years before symptoms show,
They are saying a national screening programme for over 50's
Testing
But would you want to know?, unless they had a cure I would rather not know what lies ahead.

Part of setting up a national screening test is that there has to be effective early treatment

Im not sure Alzheimers will fulfil that criteria so currently wouldnt fit into a national NHS screening plan a bit like prostate screening doesn't

I suspect some private providers will cash in if it comes in mind

There may not be a cure right now but there could be one day and it is believed there are things you can do even currently to reduce its onset/impact. So yes, I'd want to know, even if it's just a case of being able to plan the future better for the sake of others. It might also affect some financial decisions, or change how you choose to live your good years while you can (eg hookers and blow).
What I sort of wanted to say, but you said it better.
There are new treatments all the time too.

I've more or less convinced mesell it's coming anyway, might as well find out for sure.
If detecting it early improves your chances with treatments then it's a no brainer (no pun whatsoever intended).

Last edited:
Had two grandparents (one on each side) with it and helped care for both of them.

Think I would like to know, then I can make plans for if/when I get to the stage when I can't make my own decisions. I'd set up a power of attorney and write down what I'd like to happen in a care plan and stuff like that. That would make it a lot easier for my bairns to deal with.

Inevitable for me. Me Mam died as a result of Alzheimer's.

Me Dad said once when I was over there on a Sunday pm. I'm worried about your Mam, have a look at this

Shopping list
Bread
milk
Sausages
egggggggggggggggggggggggggggggs

She couldn't stop writing 'g's

About a week before she died she could still do the Times cryptic crossword. How on earth does that work.

Had two grandparents (one on each side) with it and helped care for both of them.

Think I would like to know, then I can make plans for if/when I get to the stage when I can't make my own decisions. I'd set up a power of attorney and write down what I'd like to happen in a care plan and stuff like that. That would make it a lot easier for my bairns to deal with.
You can do that anyway. Don't need to be ill. There is a financial one and a health one.

About a week before she died she could still do the Times cryptic crossword. How on earth does that work.

My Grandpa was like that. He was in sheltered accommodation but forgetting to eat meals and get washed and basic everyday stuff like that. He would still chat in detail about things from his past though which were accurate stories.

I've defo got early onset dementia. I simply can't recall short term stuff. I've lost a set of car keys today that I had in my pocket. Left the house to put petrol in. No wallet. Traded a massive trade earlier and had to look at the confirm to see what I did.

Back