ALS ALS Exclusive: Takeover No Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

A lot of that is cash flow - it’s to do with the ability to say, OK, I can put in £3m now and I might get it back later on, but I've got that cash now and it's the right thing for the club now. Compare that to it being the right thing to do right now but not having the cash to do it. Then you’re having to try and just keep things bubbling along, as best you can. That is how a huge number of football clubs outside the Premier League are run and it really constrains growth.

We're approaching the stage where there are things that, for the club to grow longer term, will need to be invested in, so we need a good base of available capital to ensure the club can invest appropriately.

Translation:

We don't have the money to run the club going forward.

ALS: But does it mean our signings will be bargain basement?

CM: It’s interesting that fans are still worried about free signings after last year’s signings were some of the stand out performers (McLaughlin, Maguire). It’s a function of how football at this level operates. There will be free signings but, as we showed last year, when money is needed to get a player that we want, we’ve done that. Last season we spent £5m on players. That’s more than the rest of the division combined.

We’ll be signing players who are the right players to move the team forwards and get promotion from this division. They might not necessarily be marquee signings but it’s about improving and developing the squad. Funnily enough it would probably quieten some of the so called fans we were talking about earlier if we bought someone for millions but if it wouldn’t be the right thing for the club we won’t do it.

I'll believe it when I see it, I thought that was the plan last season and the few signings so far aren't exactly convincing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back