Alcoholism update: number meh....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavyC

Midfield
Bit of an update bit of a ramble. I've got the drink under control, the DRs werent any help. The councelors were nice and know they don't have any funding but I'm not sure how an 30 minute phone call once a week is meant to stop a 23 year habit. Life was going canny, had a nice little gig down a pub near pickering but it turns out I was just given a using for the summer season. So got laid off recently. Looking for work is always soul destroying. Thought I was making a nice group of friends there but not ones asked how I am since I left. Yorkshire Pricks ;) so back home at my mams. 40, year old jobless and watching the bake off with my mam and the dog. My wife has a new fella, I can't blame her hopefully he treats her better than I did. Just feel like every day is shit, can't even get a drs appointment sorted to get my bloods done or back on the (not very) happy pills. Sorry to waffle on but this place always listens. I prefer strictly to bake off like, a bit more on the wad front....

Bit of an update bit of a ramble. I've got the drink under control, the DRs werent any help. The councelors were nice and know they don't have any funding but I'm not sure how an 30 minute phone call once a week is meant to stop a 23 year habit. Life was going canny, had a nice little gig down a pub near pickering but it turns out I was just given a using for the summer season. So got laid off recently. Looking for work is always soul destroying. Thought I was making a nice group of friends there but not ones asked how I am since I left. Yorkshire Pricks ;) so back home at my mams. 40, year old jobless and watching the bake off with my mam and the dog. My wife has a new fella, I can't blame her hopefully he treats her better than I did. Just feel like every day is shit, can't even get a drs appointment sorted to get my bloods done or back on the (not very) happy pills. Sorry to waffle on but this place always listens. I prefer strictly to bake off like, a bit more on the wad front....
Keep going, marra. I have had similar problems and it's rock hard at times. All the best.

I know I need to keep going for the kids but it's just such a shit existence...

When it was bad and I was f***ing up there was an edge to life, self destructive but an edge. Now when I was doing well and sorting my shit out its gone wrong. I'm not superstitious but I'm thinking this is karma. I've used my 9 or 90 lives of luck and this is what I'm left with.

Last edited:
I know I need to keep going for the kids but it's just such a shit existence...

When it was bad and I was f***ing up there was an edge to life, self destructive but an edge. Now when I was doing well and sorting my shit out its gone wrong. I'm not superstitious but I'm thinking this is karma. I've used my 9 or 90 lives of luck and this is what I'm left with.
When you're blitzed all the time, you don't see the shit you're doing wrong though or much else for that matter. When you're sober you see it and everything seems harder... Sometimes it is aswell. Honestly mate that sounds familiar what you're saying but keep going. 👍

When you're blitzed all the time, you don't see the shit you're doing wrong though or much else for that matter. When you're sober you see it and everything seems harder... Sometimes it is aswell. Honestly mate that sounds familiar what you're saying but keep going. 👍

I know mate thanks. I know it's all been my fault. I suppose it's just self pity, I don't think I ever felt guilty ever. I didn't deserve the chances etc. I'm lucky the kids still want to be around me, I'm lucky I have my mother and one good mate left. Everything else I ruined. Career, marriage, friendships. I know people have it a lot worse and I'm not wanting to end it or anything it's just well it's hard to explain I suppose.

I know mate thanks. I know it's all been my fault. I suppose it's just self pity, I don't think I ever felt guilty ever. I didn't deserve the chances etc. I'm lucky the kids still want to be around me, I'm lucky I have my mother and one good mate left. Everything else I ruined. Career, marriage, friendships. I know people have it a lot worse and I'm not wanting to end it or anything it's just well it's hard to explain I suppose.
Hold out, you've got your health and your kids, these are the only two things you need to worry about 👍 Everything else can be rebuilt to some degree.

I know everyone different, but I'd see this situation as a challenge. I'd see the free time to be doing something, exercise would be my poison, but there stuff like daytime clubs doing other stuff, origami to trainspotting, who knows, owt better than sat on sofa everyday. Might even meet some new friends, similar position, similar interests? The Ex Mrs aspect, would also be a spur on, not for find anyone new, but become someone better than before in her eyes, not just that, the kids will see you in a different light.

Again, everyone different, but on my travels with work, I've come across many similar stories, some of the guys drop off the map, never to be seen again or stories of them all burnt out/washed up in dives around the world. Others, brush themselves down (Blokes who have fucked up), take it on the chin and start all again, a few I thought were dicks and got their comeuppance, then turned out to be mates after the turn around , just takes time.

What you describe was/is me almost word for word. I can blame lots of other things, some with justification, but drink and self destruction were always common denominators. It's quite hard to even admit that in itself

Am at the 'plod on' stage. Dealing with what's left is bloody tough. Work and the kids keep me off it now apart from the occasional mega blowout.

I've just had a phone call I didn't want from one of my mates I've not heard from for a while. DavyC has been induced into a coma, the next 24hrs are crucial and I only hope and pray he's going to be ok. We've been mates from school and he's way to young to be taken from us. To say I'm devastated is an understatement, I'm in absolute bits writing this I just don't know what to say

I've just had a phone call I didn't want from one of my mates I've not heard from for a while. DavyC has been induced into a coma, the next 24hrs are crucial and I only hope and pray he's going to be ok. We've been mates from school and he's way to young to be taken from us. To say I'm devastated is an understatement, I'm in absolute bits writing this I just don't know what to say
I’m really sorry to hear this. Hopefully he can pull through. We are all praying for him and you.

I'm so sorry to read this. He seems a decent lad and I wish him all the best.

Look after yourself too. If you need anything, then just say 😘

Terrible news. Keep us updated marra.

That's not good mate, hope he gets through this :cry:

Doesn’t sound like your life is shit to me.
Watching bake off with your mother (who obviously loves you) as opposed to the peril that drink brings?
I know at times we go through mad horrible thoughts about how shit things are but looks like you’re over the worst part. Who knows what the next chapter brings? Maybe the best part of your life.
Keep going mate. You’re doing amazing. X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back