African music lost one of its greats today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty Pigeon

Striker
The Zimbabwean superstar Oliver Mtukudzi - 'Tuku' - died in hospital in Harare this afternoon aged 66. Tragic that in the midst of the current crisis in Zimbabwe they've lost a legend. RIP.

And here's Joss Stone, patronising the great man. She didn't even bother to learn to pronounce his surname.

Don't know the feller but I do like some African music like Fela Kuti for example, so I'll give it a listen when get home tomorrow.

Don't know the feller but I do like some African music like Fela Kuti for example, so I'll give it a listen when get home tomorrow.

He was one of the twin pillars of Zimbabwean music. Thomas Mapfumo is the Zimbabwean Bob Marley, Oliver Mtukudzi was the Peter Tosh.

Oh ok. Reggae then?

Less enthused now.

No, not reggae. The comparisons relate to their cultural impact rather than their musical style.

The two of them were crucial in adapting traditional Zimbabwean instruments - especially the mbira, or thumb piano - to guitar. When Zimbabwean music briefly became fashionable in the UK in the 80s through the likes of the Bhundu Boys (who supported Madonna at Wembley Stadium), it was on the backs of Mapfumo and Mtukudzi.

No, not reggae. The comparisons relate to their cultural impact rather than their musical style.

The two of them were crucial in adapting traditional Zimbabwean instruments - especially the mbira, or thumb piano - to guitar. When Zimbabwean music briefly became fashionable in the UK in the 80s through the likes of the Bhundu Boys (who supported Madonna at Wembley Stadium), it was on the backs of Mapfumo and Mtukudzi.

Sounds interesting. Looking forward to giving it a listen tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back