AFCON final VAR overturns a penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAR incident LINK

Looks like handball for me as the defender makes a subtle movement to block the ball as his arm moves out at the elbow (watch the top of his arm) as he moves his shoulder towards the ball rather than him trying to pull it away. The video they played the ref was all over the place as this gif is from the TV replay not the VAR one that went different speeds.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited by a moderator:
VAR incident LINK

Looks like handball for me as the defender makes a subtle movement to block the ball as his arm moves out at the elbow (watch the top of his arm) as he moves his shoulder towards the ball rather than him trying to pull it away. The video they played the ref was all over the place as this gif is from the TV replay not the VAR one that went different speeds.

Pen for me, too.

VAR incident LINK

I agree, looks like a pen

No pen. At first glance it does look he moves his arm towards the ball, but actually its a natural movement as he's sticking out his left boot as the striker hits the ball.

Does his arm not just move very slightly due to the fact he's turned his body slightly when the cross comes in? I'd argue that it still hasn't made his body "unnaturally" bigger. Wouldn't give a penalty myself but I'd probably be wrong!
Kind what I'm trying to say :)

VAR incident LINK

The GIF only shows the last moment, run it back another second and he clearly puts both arms down behind his body... no intent for me, in fact, the opposite

f***ing hell :lol:

VAR incident LINK

Its f***ing stupid enough that players have to hide their arms as it is. For me the arm can be anywhere as long as there's no intent. If it hits accidentally then play on. Can't help having arms ffs

Last edited:
The GIF only shows the last moment, run it back another second and he clearly puts both arms down behind his body... no intent for me, in fact, the opposite
Aye but he moves his body towards the ball by spinning his shoulder forward and his top half arm comes out and it his his forearm. If he was trying to get out the way he'd pull his arm away by bringing his right shoulder back. It was simply an instinctive reaction to block the ball which is hard to stop sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back