Adil Rashid

Status
Not open for further replies.

My only worry with 3 spinners is that Sri Lanka are such good players of spin that it wouldn't really cause them as many problems as we would hope. They would be used to such tactics I imagine.

My only worry with 3 spinners is that Sri Lanka are such good players of spin that it wouldn't really cause them as many problems as we would hope. They would be used to such tactics I imagine.

I get what you're saying but it's probably better to have 30 overs of that than 30 overs of 80/90 mph that just flies off the bat.

And for the record I don't think there's any way we'll play 3 spinners.

I get what you're saying but it's probably better to have 30 overs of that than 30 overs of 80/90 mph that just flies off the bat.

And for the record I don't think there's any way we'll play 3 spinners.

Good point. We don't have anyone different in the mould of a Lee, Tait or Steyn so as already proven in this tournement, our seamers can look a bit innocuous on a slow batting pitch so it is probably more worthwhile to try and tie things up in the middle overs with spinners and slower bowlers.

Good point. We don't have anyone different in the mould of a Lee, Tait or Steyn so as already proven in this tournement, our seamers can look a bit innocuous on a slow batting pitch so it is probably more worthwhile to try and tie things up in the middle overs with spinners and slower bowlers.

I'd be tempted to play Dernbach for his slower balls and maybe Rashid for Wright. I know he played well the other day but Rashid's a decent enough bat to be 7 or 8 and I'd rather have another spinner than a quick of Wright's ability.

I'd be tempted to play Dernbach for his slower balls and maybe Rashid for Wright. I know he played well the other day but Rashid's a decent enough bat to be 7 or 8 and I'd rather have another spinner than a quick of Wright's ability.

Given how badly Anderson has struggled in this tournement, and how much stick Tremlett got against the West Indies, I'd be inclined to play Dernbach aswell, although I am still siding towards a recall for Anderson and hoping a little rest has done him good. I'd also go for Collingwood over Wright but tbh Rashid wouldn't be a bad pick either. Wright isn't good against spin and his bowling won't scare anyone on those pitches so either way he should make way, Collingwood is a good player of spin just out of form but I'd probably plump with him for experience.

Last edited:
Given how badly Anderson has struggled in this tournement, and how much stick Tremlett got against the West Indies, I'd be inclined to play Dernbach aswell, although I am still siding towards a recall for Anderson and hoping a little rest has done him good. I'd also go for Collingwood over Wright but tbh Rashid wouldn't be a bad pick either. Wright isn't good against spin and his bowling won't scare anyone on those pitches so either way he should make way, Collingwood is a good player of spin just out of form but I'd probably plump with him for experience.

As much as I like him I think Collingwood's shot to bits. If he plays I hope he proves me wrong but I wouldn't pick him.

As much as I like him I think Collingwood's shot to bits. If he plays I hope he proves me wrong but I wouldn't pick him.

Admittedly it's a risk, I agree he's looked awful with the over the last 12 months, but with Bopara looking dodgy at 6 it might not be a bad thing to have Collingwood's experience at number 7 bulking the batting order up. He and Bopara could share a few overs between them aswell, nulifying the need for an out and out 5th bowler.

If he's not ready to play what's the point in calling him up?

My point was that its a bit unfair on the lad calling him up now when they should've called him up a few weeks ago. By the sounds of it, they knew yardy was struggling. So why wait till the eve of the QF? The problem is, if he plays under par, we'll never see him again for years.

My point was that its a bit unfair on the lad calling him up now when they should've called him up a few weeks ago. By the sounds of it, they knew yardy was struggling. So why wait till the eve of the QF? The problem is, if he plays under par, we'll never see him again for years.

Will he even be able to get there in time for Saturday's game? Be a bit of a shitter flying from Windies to Sri Lanka via England only to be told to get straight back on the plane :lol:

he has played enough cricket it in the run up admitedly it isn't ideal but he will give it a go if asked upoun. Did well in the Aus big bash by all accounts tournament unlike Saj who went for a whopping 10.78 per over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back