Absolute sickener 23 years ago, detest Lee Hughes with a passion😠😠😠😠

Luna17

Winger

After the crushing disappointment of the GF game v QPR where Mike Sheron grabbed two late goals to deny us a win, Easter Monday at the Hawthorns provided the opportunity to get back on track.
However, the hangover from that game seemed to be lingering as we were two down midway thru the first half !
However, the Quinny- Supa double act had us level before Hughes suckered Micky Gray in to being sent off a few minutes before the interval.
Incredibly, Quinny put us 3-2 up early in the second half and we held out until the 89th minute when Makin found himself wrong side of Hughes, and the sob levelled it up.
This game as much as the QPR game cost us, as two extra points could have made the difference.
To complete a frustrating day, the bus driver on the Wally/TT bus headed south on the M6 after the game instead of North, so it was a late arrival back at the Board😠

Everyone blames the QPR game for Boro beating us to second place, but this game was another that got away.
Micky Gray's stupidity and Makins lack of concentration did for us after a stirring come back.
We had the whole end that day in 98. Awesome sight.

After the crushing disappointment of the GF game v QPR where Mike Sheron grabbed two late goals to deny us a win, Easter Monday at the Hawthorns provided the opportunity to get back on track.
However, the hangover from that game seemed to be lingering as we were two down midway thru the first half !
However, the Quinny- Supa double act had us level before Hughes suckered Micky Gray in to being sent off a few minutes before the interval.
Incredibly, Quinny put us 3-2 up early in the second half and we held out until the 89th minute when Makin found himself wrong side of Hughes, and the sob levelled it up.
This game as much as the QPR game cost us, as two extra points could have made the difference.
To complete a frustrating day, the bus driver on the Wally/TT bus headed south on the M6 after the game instead of North, so it was a late arrival back at the Board😠
Mickey Gray was an idiot for that sending off, nobody else to blame. Saying that, Lee Hughes is one of a list of players over the years I'd have quite happily repeatedly punched in the face or in his case a simple headbutt.

If he'd had as much to drink as his passengers he wouldn't have been able to even get ON the bus. Some legendary drinkers on those trips, especially on the little visits to Halifax

I mooned the wba fans prior to the game. Not sure what I was thinking. Dickhead.
Remember listener to that on the radio. Personally, think Gray was sent off rather harshly. Did the other lad not even get booked?
I remember him being on top of the other lad. It either happened off camera or I imagined it. Either way it was a sending off.

Last edited:
Think I was at this one. Pretty sure we went 2-0 down there the following season but managed to win 3-2.
Was that Bridges last minute? Think I listened to that on the car radio out at the Allendale Challenge or something like that.

We did that coming out of Villa one year..got on the coach and someone noticed the word ‘South’ on a sign..been travelling about an hour anarl..😅

Back