A new challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of Xmas Eve I will officially become a full time writer (aka unemployed).
One week short of my ten year service I have decided to leave my well paid office job to try something different.
I'm not naive enough to think I can survive on book sales alone so I will have to find some temporary/part time work to supplement my income. I had planned to wait until my mortgage was paid but I've decided that the time is right.
Other similar threads on the SMB have inspired me, bizarrely by the people saying you shouldn't do it generally being bellends.
Going to be a massive change financially from barely even thinking about money to having to watch every penny but it's worth it. BT Sport, cleaner and gym membership have all gone. Sky is next.
I have three months to save some money and formulate a plan. I am open to suggestions.;)

One week short of my ten year service I have decided to leave my well paid office job to try something different.
I'm not naive enough to think I can survive on book sales alone so I will have to find some temporary/part time work to supplement my income. I had planned to wait until my mortgage was paid but I've decided that the time is right.
Other similar threads on the SMB have inspired me, bizarrely by the people saying you shouldn't do it generally being bellends.
Going to be a massive change financially from barely even thinking about money to having to watch every penny but it's worth it. BT Sport, cleaner and gym membership have all gone. Sky is next.
I have three months to save some money and formulate a plan. I am open to suggestions.;)
Don't worry a little struggle and starvation is good for the writer , lends urgency ;)
I enjoyed your first effort and will definitely buy your next , good luck mate

Best of luck xx

You can cut your grocery bill loads if you don't mind shopping around. I buy bulk packs of meat from an online butcher and freeze it. Then as I'm in and out of shops every day for work, I keep an eye on the special offers so I rarely pay full price for stuff. I always have a look in the yellow sticker section as well.

Best of luck xx

You can cut your grocery bill loads if you don't mind shopping around. I buy bulk packs of meat from an online butcher and freeze it. Then as I'm in and out of shops every day for work, I keep an eye on the special offers so I rarely pay full price for stuff. I always have a look in the yellow sticker section as well.
Where d you get it from?

Called into Aldi yesterday for a shop and spent £35 and got loads of stuff. I reckon the equivalent in asda would probs be at least £20 more

I subscribe to Bookbub which delivers a daily list of Kindle books many of them free to my in-box. I guess the idea is that readers will be motivated enough to 'buy' other works from the reader. I guess it must work for some authors but as a consumer, I now have hundreds of free kindle books meaning that I will probably never buy anything else unless it is a special offer or something that is of specific interest such as a footy/music autobiography or a travel guide.

Good luck. How about becoming an Uber driver with that fancy car of yours? You can choose when to work. Although I'm assuming it will mean a treck over Newcastle each time you wanted to do it.

My mate left finance and despite the stories had very little. Retained as a solicitor at the age of 36. One kid, one on the way and a mortgage. Made ends meet as a taxi driver. Paid decent and choose your hours.

Good luck mate, I'll keep my fingers crossed and wish you so well. The advice and pep talk you gave me a few weeks ago has put the rocket up that I needed. Am now 1/4 of the way through my first novel. :cool:

Scared to come away with us again next year so pretending to be skint......I get it.
Düsseldorf changes a man. I haven't been the same since.

Don't worry a little struggle and starvation is good for the writer , lends urgency ;)
I enjoyed your first effort and will definitely buy your next , good luck mate
The next is already out mate.;)
Halfway though number three and have plans for number four.
Could be tempted to write about my new adventure.

Good luck. How about becoming an Uber driver with that fancy car of yours? You can choose when to work. Although I'm assuming it will mean a treck over Newcastle each time you wanted to do it.
Interesting idea. Whilst the car is paid for, it could become an unnecessary expense considering how little I use it.

Last edited:
Best of luck xx

I live five minutes walk from Aldi but have always shopped at Sainsburys. I waste a mountain of food as well.
I've been looking through my cupboards today to see what I could use up. Would gravy sandwiches be wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back