A history of club cricket in Co. Durham

Got in touch with my Mam and she dug out a couple of old Durham Coast League handbooks.

South Hylton won the Coast League first division in 1957, 1969, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975 - based on that I would say the photo you posted dates from 1957 (assuming that's the first team).

The trophy on the right in the photo looks like the league trophy (I used to have to polish it every year before it was returned to the league) - don't know what the fancier looking one on the right is.

Next time I see her, I'll try and get one of the handbooks and verify the above.
If they gather dust ...... I know someone who would love those !

Got in touch with my Mam and she dug out a couple of old Durham Coast League handbooks.

South Hylton won the Coast League first division in 1957, 1969, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975 - based on that I would say the photo you posted dates from 1957 (assuming that's the first team).

The trophy on the right in the photo looks like the league trophy (I used to have to polish it every year before it was returned to the league) - don't know what the fancier looking one on the right is.

Next time I see her, I'll try and get one of the handbooks and verify the above.
Brilliant that’s the 57 team

All went downhill when the senior league was abandoned according to that wicketkeeper bloke
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
You're lucky if you can get a league handbook now - too expensive to print apparently, and everything you need is supposed to be on the likes of 'Play Cricket'.
Used to sit reading me dads handbooks from the coast league. He took great pleasure in pointing out the years he finished top of the batting averages. Mainly in 2nd team leagues but in those days 2nd teams were pretty strong!

Last edited:
My Dad played with Bob Markham in the 80’s at Eppleton CW. He thought he was a very good player and a good lad as well
Talked to a lad at work who'd played against him many times (for South Hetton) and he was adamant he had been South Hylton's Pro for all those years before he went to Eppleton.

He was stunned when I told him he'd never been paid a penny in his life to play cricket.

Liked this from way back: “Though not alone, Philly’s followers got a bad name. Their “eccentric old men and empty-headed boys” lashed out with sticks and tongues against South Shields. On another occasion they threatened an umpire, “even the women” pelting him with mud.”

Blimey some good old names in that publication. I'm going to give it a good read.

Bobby Markham and me dad went back a long way and whenever he played at Silky we would always go round and see him when South Hylton visited when I was a youngin before I started playing. He played a lot of years for South Hylton I reckon.

I hated playing at South Hylton, but ironically I ended up taking 9-36 playing for Silky seconds there one year in the mid 80's. Mind you there were some right "characters" playing for South Hylton in those days:lol::lol:

Blimey some good old names in that publication. I'm going to give it a good read.

Bobby Markham and me dad went back a long way and whenever he played at Silky we would always go round and see him when South Hylton visited when I was a youngin before I started playing. He played a lot of years for South Hylton I reckon.

I hated playing at South Hylton, but ironically I ended up taking 9-36 playing for Silky seconds there one year in the mid 80's. Mind you there were some right "characters" playing for South Hylton in those days:lol::lol:
Bob Markham played for South Hylton from the age of 15 until his first 'retirement' in the early '80s - about 27 years. Not bad for someone who would bowl 20+ overs per game, open the batting and captain the side. In his later years he was Chairman/groundsman/general handyman until it all got too much for him.

He came out of retirement to play for Eppleton CW - it was a team made up of a lot of old Coast League stars and they assured him he would 'just' be one of the team - no other responsibilities. He often said the couple of years he spent there ranked among the most enjoyable he had ever had on a cricket pitch.

Did your dad work with him - I know he had friends at Silksworth CC?

Bob Markham played for South Hylton from the age of 15 until his first 'retirement' in the early '80s - about 27 years. Not bad for someone who would bowl 20+ overs per game, open the batting and captain the side. In his later years he was Chairman/groundsman/general handyman until it all got too much for him.

He came out of retirement to play for Eppleton CW - it was a team made up of a lot of old Coast League stars and they assured him he would 'just' be one of the team - no other responsibilities. He often said the couple of years he spent there ranked among the most enjoyable he had ever had on a cricket pitch.

Did your dad work with him - I know he had friends at Silksworth CC?
I believe he did. Possibly at David Browns. They were certainly mates. I can remember him coming to ours too. I remember Bob had a couple of lads I think.

I was doing a bit of research into South Hylton CC and came across this book. It's downloadable or you can read the PDF here

Cracking link marra, thanks very much. Already got through the first quarter just sat drinking my morning coffee :lol:
Equally interesting is his follow up book "Cream Teas and Canny Crack" focuses more of cricket characters and events he experienced in a lifetime playing and watching cricket. A DCCC regular Jack is currently recovering from a stroke.

Would love to read that one too!

Last edited:
I played for them as a junior up until their demise in 1986/87.

My dad played for them all his life and was skipper when they won four Durham Coast League titles in a row from 1972 to 1975. He also played in the league winning team in 1969 (I think), though not as captain. They won the league and cup double in 1973 (again, I think) - the same year that their second team also won the league. My mam has a photo of my dad and the second team skipper in our back garden holding the two division trophies.
I remember us turning up playing an away match, and some c@nt had poured weed killer or some solvent over part of the square, ruining it. It was towards the end of the club's existence, and the club was on its knees at that point. Sad state of affairs.

My other memory from South Hylton was of a horse in a neighbouring field with severe flatulence. As an away player it was amusing the first few times it farted, but it eventually just became background noise.

I remember us turning up playing an away match, and some c@nt had poured weed killer or some solvent over part of the square, ruining it. It was towards the end of the club's existence, and the club was on its knees at that point. Sad state of affairs.

My other memory from South Hylton was of a horse in a neighbouring field with severe flatulence. As an away player it was amusing the first few times it farted, but it eventually just became background noise.

Pre match team talks were always amusing because in the South Hylton dressing rooms the dividing wall didn't go right up to the roof, so you could hear every word of the game plan :).

I have to say though, it was a dump whenever I visited there (81-88 ish) and I don't think the local householders were too enamoured with the short boundaries - hence the vandalism.

Back