70d

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was only kidding man - we already have a Canon board :lol:.

Jokes apart, and at the risk of hijacking your thread further, has photography ever been such a race for new gear as it is now? Digital cameras already seem to be good enough to do anything you might need, and yet the manufacturers still manage to create an insatiable appetite among photographers to get a newer and shinier one, and treat the one they had before as worthless. The cunning bastards have almost made them disposable.

As a result I wouldn't be surprised if your average photographer (pro or amateur) spends far more on photography now than they would have done in the past.

Last edited:
I was only kidding man - we already have a Canon board :lol:.

Jokes apart, and at the risk of hijacking your thread further, has photography ever been such a race for new gear as it is now? Digital cameras already seem to be good enough to do anything you might need, and yet the manufacturers still manage to create an insatiable appetite among photographers to get a newer and shinier one, and treat the one they had before as worthless. The cunning bastards have almost made them disposable.

As a result I wouldn't be surprised if your average photographer (pro or amateur) spends far more on photography now than they would have done in the past.

I know mate. But to answer your question, better ISO performance is always welcomed.

I'm spending nowt else on camera gear, well not for a while anyway :lol:

Have heard (and said!) that before.

I know mate. But to answer your question, better ISO performance is always welcomed.

Suppose so, but it's also almost a bit silly and surreal when you can take photos in near darkness that look like daylight. Obviously has useful applications for action etc.

But are we not already at the stage with top dSLRs where you can take noise-free images at ISO10000+ ? If so it would seem to me that this has already been well and truly nailed. Bear in mind that in film days sports photographers made do with ISO 400/800 for just about everything.

Wonder how long before they change the lens mount or design in order to render all existing lenses obsolete on new bodies, to get those with a lust for the latest equipment to shell out on new glass.

Wonder how long before they change the lens mount or design in order to render all existing lenses obsolete on new bodies, to get those with a lust for the latest equipment to shell out on new glass.

Canon did it when they introduced autofocus, but have more or less stuck with their mount since.

Nikon more or less kept the same mount since 1959, but their newest lenses don't have an aperture ring so aren't compatible with most older cameras. But their system has been more compatible over the years, and my Nikon F4 will actually work with any lens back to 1959 and up to the present day.

I can't really think of a good reason for either to change their mount again, but you never know, as you say, what financial motivation can do.

Suppose so, but it's also almost a bit silly and surreal when you can take photos in near darkness that look like daylight. Obviously has useful applications for action etc.

But are we not already at the stage with top dSLRs where you can take noise-free images at ISO10000+ ? If so it would seem to me that this has already been well and truly nailed. Bear in mind that in film days sports photographers made do with ISO 400/800 for just about everything.
I saw an ISO of over 500,000 yesterday. I always thought that although the higher ISO numbers (eg 400 and maybe higher)were handy for evening photography, mostly we preferred ISO 50 and 100 didn't we*?

* we being us old film photographers.

I saw an ISO of over 500,000 yesterday. I always thought that although the higher ISO numbers (eg 400 and maybe higher)were handy for evening photography, mostly we preferred ISO 50 and 100 didn't we*?

* we being us old film photographers.

Yes we do. Though I often use Portra 400 for people and low light because it can easily be used at 800 and still looks amazing. And in black and white some films can be pushed to 1600 and higher with the right development, as long as you like grain ;). But a bright day plus slow film and fast lenses makes me happiest :-D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back