5th ODI thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excellent result against one of the top one day teams in the world. Bloody nervy until they went after Patel though.....

Series win would have been more comfortable if Cook had put us in at Headingley as everyone expected, arrogant decision IMO and one I hope he learns from.

Very good win, and it showed we can compete with the best on flat tracks and without help from overhead conditions.

essex boy said:
nothing more than papering over the cracks

half the side arent good enough

Agree with that. Doesn't detract from the fact we've beaten one of the best one day teams going though.

they have just lost two players in the last year with over 800 ODI caps between them

they are rebuilding so stop exagerating

They got to the world cup final without Jayasuria and Murali was barely walking.

Why do you feel the need to belittle every achievement an England side makes? Why is there always a reason why it wasn't because they played better than the other side?

They got to the world cup final without Jayasuria and Murali was barely walking.

Why do you feel the need to belittle every achievement an England side makes? Why is there always a reason why it wasn't because they played better than the other side?

Because he's a braindead prick.

A half fit Murali is miles better than any other spinner in world cricket

the only reason we won this series was because we specifically asked the groundsman to produce a green top at TB to give us half a chance in the series

Bresnan
Anderson
Dernbach
Bell
Patel

are not good enough if we wish to win a ODI world cup

it makes me laugh that its the same people who get carried away with series win like this that are always the first to bemoan the side after an another dismal world cup campaign

Last edited:
A half fit Murali is miles better than any other spinner in world cricket

the only reason we won this series was because we specifically asked the groundsman to produce a green top at TB to give us half a chance in the series

Bresnan
Anderson
Dernbach
Bell
Patel

are not good enough if we wish to win a ODI world cup

it makes me laugh that its the same people who get carried away with series win like this that are always the first to bemoan the side after an another dismal world cup campaign

Is a half fit Murali better than Harbajan? Murali's looked a shadow of himself in the world cup, IPL and he isn't pulling up any trees in the T20 at the minute.

Who's getting carried away? If there was a world cup starting next week I'd still think we'd have done really well to reach the Semis never mind win it. It's a good win against a good team, no more no less.

I disagree with Anderson and Bresnan. It's way too early to write of Dernbach. Bell's had a ridiculous number of chances and not proved consistently good enough in terms of aggregate runs or strike rate (1 hundred in 100+ matches is really poor). The fact that Patel played says a lot about the selectors' opinion of the back up spinners - he's a horses for courses selection.

Last edited:
Is a half fit Murali better than Harbajan? Murali's looked a shadow of himself in the world cup, IPL and he isn't pulling up any trees in the T20 at the minute.

Who's getting carried away? If there was a world cup starting next week I'd still think we'd have done really well to reach the Semis never mind win it. It's a good win against a good team, no more no less.

I disagree with Anderson and Bresnan. It's way too early to write of Dernbach. Bell's had a ridiculous number of chances and not proved consistently good enough in terms of aggregate runs or strike rate (1 hundred in 100+ matches is really poor). The fact that Patel played says a lot about the selectors' opinion of the back up spinners - he's a horses for courses selection.

its not necessarily his own performance its just knowing you have Murali on the field and the confidence it gives to the rest of the guys.

Australia have had Lee, Sri Lanka have had Vaas and now Malinga and NZ have had Bond, this is the standard of opening bowler you need to be successfull in one day cricket. Anderson and Fatboy are not of this standard and are nowhere near

its not necessarily his own performance its just knowing you have Murali on the field and the confidence it gives to the rest of the guys.

Australia have had Lee, Sri Lanka have had Vaas and now Malinga and NZ have had Bond, this is the standard of opening bowler you need to be successfull in one day cricket. Anderson and Fatboy are not of this standard and are nowhere near

I appreciate it gives you a boost but would the best teams in the world rely on 1 player to carry them through an entire tournament? It doesn't suggest the team spirit/desire/commitment of champions is there.

Can Anderson and Fatboy (who both outbowled Malinga in this series, I know green tops, not his type of wicket) not be the Kasprowitz's/Gillespies, Fernandos and Orams rather than the one outstanding bowler you are on about?

I appreciate it gives you a boost but would the best teams in the world rely on 1 player to carry them through an entire tournament? It doesn't suggest the team spirit/desire/commitment of champions is there.

Can Anderson and Fatboy (who both outbowled Malinga in this series, I know green tops, not his type of wicket) not be the Kasprowitz's/Gillespies, Fernandos and Orams rather than the one outstanding bowler you are on about?

but those sides without those players wouldnt have been as successfull. We are on ordinary side without star quality in the bowling ranks.

but those sides without those players wouldnt have been as successfull. We are on ordinary side without star quality in the bowling ranks.

Sorry, wasn't disagreeing with that, just the notion that they couldn't be part of a winning team. Every nation in the world would love an accurate, 90mph bowler who can bowl more than 4 overs in a game, hopefully there's a lad on his way to that at Canterbury, Hove, Taunton or wherever.

Sorry, wasn't disagreeing with that, just the notion that they couldn't be part of a winning team. Every nation in the world would love an accurate, 90mph bowler who can bowl more than 4 overs in a game, hopefully there's a lad on his way to that at Canterbury, Hove, Taunton or wherever.

we can win series over here, we just wont win world cups (or come close)

most sides gear themselves to win w/c, I dont know what England are trying to achieve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back