49 years ago, on a murky Wednesday afternoon, less than 9000 see....

Luna17

Winger
..... a John Lathan hat trick at RP v Portsmouth.

Pompey did get two back to give the scoreline respectability but Safc held on to win.

These were the dark days of strikes and power cuts so midweek games kicked off in afternoons as floodlights couldn't be used.

Was anyone on here part of the 8000+ crowd that afternoon ?

Pompey did get two back to give the scoreline respectability but Safc held on to win.

These were the dark days of strikes and power cuts so midweek games kicked off in afternoons as floodlights couldn't be used.

Less than a year later nearly 52k see roker park’s greatest night. That’s a bit of a turnaround.

Shame people don’t have the strength or unity to call mass strikes these days but I suppose that’s another argument ;)

I often wondered what Roker would have been like at its biggest with such small crowds. I only ever saw it from 1995 onwards. I’m sure I went when I was 4 for some event as I’ve got a gold membership card somewhere and my old Roker rookies membership but I can’t remember any of it
Less than a year later nearly 52k see roker park’s greatest night. That’s a bit of a turnaround.

When I showed me dad the footage of Haloms goal he said it was fake as it went three times as fast and broke the crossbar

I was there . Should have been at work .at gas board,

Shame people don’t have the strength or unity to call mass strikes these days but I suppose that’s another argument ;)
Aye.
I miss rubbish lying around in the streets, bodies piling up in mortuaries, power cuts and fuel shortages.

Regrettably those days will not return. Shame

Anyway . Here's the program for that day
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Incredibly, in March 1974, we played Portsmouth in another midweek afternoon kick off caused by the 3 day week.
We won 3 nil , Tueart 2 and Kerr, and I was at that one as I... ahem.. had a stomach bug and was off school that day. What a coincidence.
8142 was the crowd on a dry bright afternoon.

Aye, I think I was, played the nick

Last edited:

yes

Back