3rd Ashes Test - Headingley

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was chatting utter shite on TMS on Sunday to.

'The Yorkshire crowd sensed something was on today, they were all in their seats by 11 because they felt something was brewing'

I went on Friday and Saturday, and 98% of the crowd was in by 11. Absolute shite hawk.

Tbf he seemed to suggest Sunday crowds are a bit slow to fill up rather than him trying to say the Sunday crowd knew more than the likes of you who happened to go on a different day.

FWIW I reckon just about no fucker in that ground Sunday morning had a clue what was brewing. And neither did anyone else.
I agree he’s a complete let down as a pundit. He’s seems a totally different person to the former England captain. His comment on Wilson was rank stupid. He’s a shit umpire but he can only give what he sees.

Yep. He basically reckoned in that situation an umpire should've just used hawkeye (by giving it out and thus prompting a review) rather than make a call himself.
Michael Vaughan talking an absolute pile of shite what a shock.

Man is a twatful pundit. Seems to go for the most bizarre controversial takes on the game.

If he wasn't a former England captain he'd not be given any air time. Can't believe how bad he's got, admired him as captain.

Was bizarre mind, basically instead of making a call just give it, knowing it'll end up with video replay doing the job.

Tbh, I'd have been surprised, and somewhat disappointed, if the impire is thinking in such a tactical way at that moment in time and not prepared to make a call, as that's his job.

Last edited:

Whenever I watch that LBW in real time I still think it's a hard one. Of all of Joel Wilson's incorrect decisions it's the one I have the most sympathy with.

If anyone thinks it looks plumb in real time they are either lying or they should be umpires. From front on there isn't enough time to see where it was heading after it pitched before it hit him. It's why it gives the impression it's sliding down.

Whenever I watch that LBW in real time I still think it's a hard one. Of all of Joel Wilson's incorrect decisions it's the one I have the most sympathy with.
Agreed, it looks going down leg and at best umpires call. Still surprised at the three reds
If anyone thinks it looks plumb in real time they are either lying or they should be umpires. From front on there isn't enough time to see where it was heading after it pitched before it hit him. It's why it gives the impression it's sliding down.
Agreed as I said above, in full speed it looks to be sliding.

A snippet (the ending) of Scyld Berry's piece in today's Telegraph comparing Botham's 1981 Headingly inings to Stokes'.

Botham’s 149 was not England’s greatest Test innings for long. He exceeded it himself two Tests later with his 118 at Old Trafford: John Woodcock of the Times, who had been watching since 1950 and heard the folklore of what had gone before, judged it to be the best for England to that point. Later that summer I put it to Botham that his 149 at Headingley had been hitting, whereas his 118 was batting; and he paused, momentarily, before agreeing.

Graham Gooch’s 154 against West Indies in 1991 raised the bar further. Again it was at Headingley, which can be no coincidence: the difficulties of batting there under cloud-cover are extreme. Other superb innings have followed - Michael Atherton’s monumental defiance in Johannesburg, several centuries by Kevin Pietersen of the utmost brilliance - but the context of Stokes’s innings, that he made his stand in the last ditch in the Ashes, makes it supreme.

I bought a ticket for my old man (and me) in the Emerald stand for Sunday....... I actually bought it last year as his 2018 Christmas gift... I was preparing to cancel the day if things went badly wrong on Saturday or we were 6 or 7 down at the end of play. I'm so glad we didn't as it was something really special and something we'll never forget....

I am thinking of getting him tickets for the Old Trafford game as he seems to something of a lucky charm. The last match I took him to was in June 2018 when England played the Aussies in a one dayer at Trent Bridge. During that game England scored a world record 481-6 and recorded a 242-run victory.....

The Emerald stand was great viewing and good banter....... my only issue with yesterday was that some tails in the upper tier decided to soak a bunch of Aussies (in the lower tier) in beer when the winning runs were scored...... sometimes people let themselves (and their country) down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back