3rd Ashes Test - Headingley

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was ridiculed for this yesterday but after his heroic night watchman stint and now his stubborn stalwart cameo, surely leach is deserving of elevation to number 9?
Wow, what an absolutely fantastic day. The best sporting event I have attended I reckon, from the hope in the morning that we could do it, to not even giving us half a chance once buttler got ran out. The atmosphere was unbelievable yesterday all day, a good leave was getting cheered like a boundary at 1 point! Ben stokes take a bow. Days like yesterday will be why test cricket is always the pinnacle of the sport for most of us.
and to think people were feeling sorry for you having a day 4 ticket :)

Last edited:

Lyon must be sick as a chip this morning. Has his man but can't review it due to crazy review previously and then dropping the simplest of run outs.

Mind, how demoralising would that have been if it we had lost it to brain fart run out.

Watched the last hour again earlier and heart is still racing even though I know the result.

Lyon must be sick as a chip this morning. Has his man but can't review it due to crazy review previously and then dropping the simplest of run outs.

Mind, how demoralising would that have been if it we had lost it to brain fart run out.

Watched the last hour again earlier and heart is still racing even though I know the result.
Also, he has only what it is 2 wickets in the last 3 innings? He will take some lifting for the final 2 tests.

He had the ashes won and he cocked it up. Can only imagine this place if one of ours did that.

Looking back England had no right to win that at all... even putting 67 allout aside that second innings the amount of catches they put down... full on drops, half chances, sixes that only cleared the fielder by a foot or so. Then the review debarcle, Stokes LBW given not out (it was plumb), a regulation run out missed.

Staggering luck from England. England have to make it count for something now and go on to win the Ashes. They have to.
I'm not having it as plumb, I can see why he didn't give it out. Either way they burned their review so it's tough. We've been on the end of a few either way

dropped the ashes

I can't even begin to imagine how class it would be to be there.

I had tickets for today and while I guess chaos theory insists it'd have been nowhere near as amazing a day if 45 more overs had been lost and it was amazing to watch even on TV, a little bit of me is still gutted.

Also, he has only what it is 2 wickets in the last 3 innings? He will take some lifting for the final 2 tests.

He had the ashes won and he cocked it up. Can only imagine this place if one of ours did that.
to be honest the skipper is more culpable, a crazy review which ultimately cost them the game

I had tickets for today and while I guess chaos theory insists it'd have been nowhere near as amazing a day if 45 more overs had been lost and it was amazing to watch even on TV, a little bit of me is still gutted.
lol who buys tickets for day 5 of a headingley test :)

to be honest the skipper is more culpable, a crazy review which ultimately cost them the game
Aye but Lyons maybe wont see it that way. Cricket is as much a mental sport than skill. He will have to be picked up somehow as he will be destroyed this morning.

Wood was saying he dropped a catch in the world cup and it played on his mind so much.

What a day! My head hurts this morning though. Going to watch it all again later as got it recorded. I'm going to start crying when Lyon had the little Urn in hands and start laughing when he then dropped them and missed the run out. 😂

God imagine, I think he'd be placed alongside Hitler.

Very fine margins, had he made the run out Stokes would have been slated instead he is (and rightly so) being hailed as a Saint.

Last edited:
My first thought the minute he wasted that review was that they could regret that. Only takes one delivery, as we seen, to need your review. I can understand why he didn’t give it out, I said not out in real time as I thought it wasn’t turning back enough much like yourself.

What surprised me was that Stokes turned down a single when we needed two to win, before the run out and the lbw things happened. I get why he did it but thought it was a bit stupid personally - a draw isn’t ideal but at least it keeps the ashes alive.

No part of his batting fills you with confidence, especially after the poor way he got out first time around. Think that made it even more special

Stokes didn't turn down a single with 2 to win. Well not an obvious run anyway. He hit the six then it was a dot ball fielded in the covers, followed by the reverse that nearly ran out Leach and then the LBW shout which was the last ball of the over.

personally i was amazed he refused the single to tie the match, securing the tie would have eased the pressure and would still have been a moral victory

He is, but it will have the biggest impact on Lyon, as it was his wicket and had that have happened he wouldn't have had a chance to drop the ashes. Be all sorts going through his head as a result.
Stokes didn't turn down a single with 2 to win. Well not an obvious run anyway. He hit the six then it was a dot ball fielded in the covers, followed by the reverse that nearly ran out Leach and then the LBW shout which was the last ball of the over.

He is referring to sending Leach back as turning down a single.
personally i was amazed he refused the single to tie the match, securing the tie would have eased the pressure and would still have been a moral victory

Was never on tbf.

Last edited:
Can we all agree on something. No matter what sir ben does on the cricket pitch from now on he has a free pass and the smb should never have a bad word said against the bloke.

We should defend any future shitness that may occur, not that it will. But, if it does he Is allowed to to have ducks, run outs, wides that are so wide that we all chuckle.

He is a sporting legend and lest we forget the joy of the summer of 2019.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back