30 years ago 16th May 1990 Newcastle 0 Sunderland 2

2nd leg of the play of semi final has to be one of the greatest nights in the derby games.

After Hardyman's last minute penalty miss in the first leg, the Mags were probably favourites with the bookies but I had a feeling we could win at SJP as we had been playing better away in the second half of that season.

The Mags started off well and Mark McGhee hit the post after 10 minutes, but then a few minutes later a near post finish from Eric Gates put us 1-0 up after good work from Gabbiadini and Gates. Owers almost made it 2-0 soon afterwards but Burridge saved at point blank range.

Norman saved well from McGhee before half time and we went in at the break 1-0 up.

The Mags attacked a bit more in the second half but we defended well and had a few chances on the counter attack, Burridge saved well from Owers again before Marco linked up well with Gatesy to put us 2-0 up. Scenes.

The horse punchers ran on the pitch to try and get the game abandoned , the game was stopped for a few minutes before the teams came back up and we comfortably saw out the last few minutes.

Happy Days.

2nd leg of the play of semi final has to be one of the greatest nights in the derby games.

After Hardyman's last minute penalty miss in the first leg, the Mags were probably favourites with the bookies but I had a feeling we could win at SJP as we had been playing better away in the second half of that season.

The Mags started off well and Mark McGhee hit the post after 10 minutes, but then a few minutes later a near post finish from Eric Gates put us 1-0 up after good work from Gabbiadini and Gates. Owers almost made it 2-0 soon afterwards but Burridge saved at point blank range.

Norman saved well from McGhee before half time and we went in at the break 1-0 up.

The Mags attacked a bit more in the second half but we defended well and had a few chances on the counter attack, Burridge saved well from Owers again before Marco linked up well with Gatesy to put us 2-0 up. Scenes.

The horse punchers ran on the pitch to try and get the game abandoned , the game was stopped for a few minutes before the teams came back up and we comfortably saw out the last few minutes.

Happy Days.
This pitch invasion stuff in an attempt to get a game abandoned. Why do they think this is acceptable ? They've got previous for this and it seems to be a genetic thing along with rioting in your own city and attacking horses.

One of the best nights of my life, was unreal behind that goal.
Was right in line with Marco’s goal, can still feel it now.
Didn’t realise mags were on the pitch for ages, there were sporadic break outs and small pitch invasions happening all night.
I remember a lad in a yellow jumper pretty much ran the length of the field to get to us but he ran out of puff and gave up in the end.
Also remember a Newcastle fan fell out of the tier onto some exec boxes to our left.
I wish mobile phone videos were available then

One of the best nights of my life, was unreal behind that goal.
Was right in line with Marco’s goal, can still feel it now.
Didn’t realise mags were on the pitch for ages, there were sporadic break outs and small pitch invasions happening all night.
I remember a lad in a yellow jumper pretty much ran the length of the field to get to us but he ran out of puff and gave up in the end.
Also remember a Newcastle fan fell out of the tier onto some exec boxes to our left.
I wish mobile phone videos were available then

The lad in the yellow jumper was one of ours. Think he'd got sussed in the gallowgate end.

Sat in the 'Peter Beardsley' stand that night. Didn''t dare celebrate our goals for fear of losing life. Pissed with rain after iirc and ended up drinking in Newcastle arms near quayside. Remember the club gave out Xmas cards, at least I think they were Xmas Cards with a picture of Marco scoring that goal in front

Was on holiday when tickets went on sale so could only get ticket from ex safc player for the Milburn Stand.
Had to show incredible restraint all game. 2 lads went up when Gates scored and were engulfed by mags and got carted out.
We dominated 2nd half and cut through them like a warm knife thru butter with only McGhee threatening us in first half. He probably should have done better with his first chance early diana.
When they all flooded on I thought that was it, game abandoned, but a tannoy announcement made it clear the game would be finished that night.
Marco's goal was something special, and so glad I was there to see it, but just wish I'd been in the L.E.
Celebratory pint in Black Bull, Wardley before driving back home to watch Tyne Tees highlights.
Nice to see the media next day slamming the scummy mags for trying to get game abandoned as in 74 in fa cup v Forest.
This pitch invasion stuff in an attempt to get a game abandoned. Why do they think this is acceptable ? They've got previous for this and it seems to be a genetic thing along with rioting in your own city and attacking horses.
Because they're a set of pig ignorant, self entitled wankers. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Was in their main stand that night with a mate so had to keep quiet. Mag next to me was talking throughout the game not knowing I’m not a mag,when we scored I just sighed and bent forward whilst clenching my fist and whispering Come On!
Walked quietly with my mate afterwards down to the Quayside, but when we got away from the crowds just ran along the road screaming with delight! Went to the Riverside and saw Lenny Kravitz and first person I see when I walk in has a Safc top on! Fantastic night....just wish I could have been in the Leazes to celebrate fully!!!

My first trip to the landfill age 13. Went with my Dad and brother. Drove through and parked somewhere near the ground. Remember two chavvy kids asking me Dad for money to 'watch his car'. He gave them 50p and said they could have another one if it was still there when he got back. Brilliant, brilliant night. Get chills just thinking about Marco's goal right in front of us and the delirious, piss taking chanting that took place after. Their half arsed pitch invasion just made it even better.

I know the wider world probably think our adoration of such moments is childish but this really was one of the greatest nights of my life. I still laugh/smile whenever I see how far that gobshite Burridge is away from Marco's shot. The 1st goal was strange because it took a few seconds for most of us to realise it had gone in but the 2nd one, everyone just went wild. Fantastic night and just hope and pray I have those feelings sometime again in my life.

Back