2nd Test - England v India

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Striker
Not long now. Plenty for the selectors to think about.

Personally I hope the pitch is a green top and there's no need to play Kerrigan.

I feel the selectors may have put him in the squad to get a feel of the environment before the third and fourth Tests on what is generally more likely to take spin.

We'll see though. Sure the ECB won't risk another turgid, slow, lifeless pitch?! :eek:

Same XI for me.

Ridiculous batting Stokes at 8. Its not as if Broad & Plunkett are rabbits, far from it. If they dont trust Stokes to bat 6 or 7 he shouldnt be in the team. Prior should have been peddled last year imo... I'd drop Ali for Kerrigan probably.

Kerrigan will get twatted all over the place if he plays.

Prepare a hard, bouncy deck and play five seamers. Ali out, Jordan in.

Ridiculous batting Stokes at 8. Its not as if Broad & Plunkett are rabbits, far from it. If they dont trust Stokes to bat 6 or 7 he shouldnt be in the team. Prior should have been peddled last year imo... I'd drop Ali for Kerrigan probably.
Spot on was Englands best batsmen in Australia. The hundred he scored at Perth was magnificent i don't think any other English batsmen could play a knock like that on a genuine fast hard cracked bouncy wicket.

more to do with the form of everyone IMO

ballance, bell, ali, root, prior, stokes have all played very good knocks recently, our middle order is all in good knick, so has been expanded

cant see anything other than a draw again. lords gets flatter as the game goes on and it will be a chief executives five day match, to cash in

The batting order is well fucked up anyway IMO. Don't understand the thinking of it at all. You've got a natural number 3 at 6 and a bloke who's never batted at 3 for his county batting 3 for England. Seems like a case of simply trying to shoehorn players in.

I'd bat Stokes at 6 ahead of Prior ideally.

cant see anything other than a draw again. lords gets flatter as the game goes on and it will be a chief executives five day match, to cash in

That's my fear. Lords and the MCC generally do things to suit themselves too, no matter who it hinders.

the only way a result will be on is for a team to be bowled out by tea on the first day imo

ps i forgot, moores out

to echo what @brandon said no way is Ballance a No3, I know he has done okay but that middle order is one big mish mash. The aussies or saffies could give it a right going over imo. Long term i'd probably see Root bat No3 - just like Vaughan & Butcher did.

Spot on was Englands best batsmen in Australia. The hundred he scored at Perth was magnificent i don't think any other English batsmen could play a knock like that on a genuine fast hard cracked bouncy wicket.
You could state a case for him batting above Prior in the order, but as stated elsewhere, the Top 6 (Cook apart) are in decent nick and deserve their places. Suppose the question that needs asking is whether Stokes is worth his place based on his bowling (on the assumption we don't really "need" his batting at this stage)

17 wickets @ 37.23 Econ 3.74

more to do with the form of everyone IMO

ballance, bell, ali, root, prior, stokes have all played very good knocks recently, our middle order is all in good knick, so has been expanded
Yeah against Sri Lanka at home who had what could only be described as a decent county attack. Stokes did it against a top class pace attack on a quick wicket, during which time Root Prior and a few others where found out. Also remember Peitersen on 3 ashes tours has not scored a test hundred apart from at Adelaide which is the one low slow wicket in Aussie.

No changes

Kerrigan in for EOT or the Ageas Bowl as both will likely spin...

Stokes is batting too far down, they mays well play Jordan as he's a better bowler and as already mentioned, Broad and Plunkett bat...

Green pitch according to M.Atherton yesterday

You could state a case for him batting above Prior in the order, but as stated elsewhere, the Top 6 (Cook apart) are in decent nick and deserve their places. Suppose the question that needs asking is whether Stokes is worth his place based on his bowling (on the assumption we don't really "need" his batting at this stage)

17 wickets @ 37.23 Econ 3.74
Not just about the amount of runs players score but against what type of attack. Plenty of England batsmen scored runs against moderate attacks over the years and then got found out against quality bowling sides. Stokes showed against the Aussies he had the talent, technique and bravery to bat against them nobody else looked capable. Then they play against an average side and all of a sudden they are back in form when really it was not about form but talent.

Looks like a green top but Kerrigan being shoehorned into the squad means he'll play instead of Ali.

Cook
Robson
Ballance
Bell
Root
Stokes
Prior
Broad
Plunkett
Anderson
Kerrigan

Looks like a green top but Kerrigan being shoehorned into the squad means he'll play instead of Ali.

Cook
Robson
Ballance
Bell
Root
Stokes
Prior
Broad
Plunkett
Anderson
Kerrigan

Harsh on Ali - he has done enough with the bat to stay in the team IMHO

Yeah against Sri Lanka at home who had what could only be described as a decent county attack. Stokes did it against a top class pace attack on a quick wicket, during which time Root Prior and a few others where found out. Also remember Peitersen on 3 ashes tours has not scored a test hundred apart from at Adelaide which is the one low slow wicket in Aussie.
According to Michael Vaughan. A view that was ridiculed by others as highly disrespectful and highly inaccurate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back